Find
Notify
Tools

Frustrations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Reading Mike's post regarding a difficult hunt in Dande I can fully understand that certain conditions can work against the hunter especially if the bush is green and stalking quietly virtually impossible. My frustrations were of a different kind.

I have had to cut short a 14-day Leopard safari due to the hunter's wife coming down with a reoccurring illness. Both the big cats we eventually targeted were feeding in daylight and all we needed to do now was initiate the final act. I had chosen early season specifically for Leopard and had explained everything else would be gravy. However large swathes of the bush was dry enough to burn and the hunting of buff was relatively easy underfoot as the leaf matter had been reduced to ash. the tracking which was done first light as the buff were still grazing.

Hippo makes for an easy bait and cats relish the greasy meat and were actively feeding on the fat. This also attracted some great looking Lion who would disrupt some of the baits and which made morning sittings quite intense. We could easily have shot a number of good Lion not to mention Roan and Eland.

We had Leopard on all baits mainly being females to start with. After a few days we targeted two big males and had thenm feeding comfortably. One huge cat feeding during midday and at odd hours. I had planned to sit all day for him when the safari went asquew.

Earlier in the day we had tracked up three buff and caught them out in the cool of early morning. The shot on the big boy missed the vitals but broke a shoulder leaving an easy drag mark to follow. However the other two buff intefferd with any other opportunities until they abandoned the wounded bull. I could see that my elderly hunter was having problems with his arthritic hips and called in the car. on radio the resident PH De Bruin informed me that we had a big croc lying up and a Leopard feeding by camp. He kindly offered to take over the buff hunt and later he concluded the hunt putting the large buff down at close quarters. Thats why I hunt alongside him as he consistantly puts 110% into a safari.

We were successful on croc but the Leopard bait had again attacted a substaintial Lion.

A Kudu was added to the bait pile and everyone was very confident that a large Leopard would be taken. The wife got sick and the hunter became nurse and the safari was to be abandoned. Now that is frustrating!

As we flew out the sun was setting and I looked down on where the Leopards were feeding. But I will be back and my hunter has already booked to return without his ailing wife. However she thanked me for some amazing experiences - the Lion, the Elephant and the Leopard that walked within inches of the blind.

North Luangwa is remote and requires a charter. The hunting can be hard but the quality of game especially the cats is there. As noted the operator/PH is one of the hardest working individuals I know and compliments the safari with his efforts. De Bruin is a confindent young man and an exceptional PH. To take on the wounded Buff so my clients could continue hunting was a very gracious gesture indeed and one of which he was well rewarded for.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That would indeed be frustrating . . . completely understandable but frustrating. I know for some they would never consider doing a safari without their spouse along regardless of whether or not their spouse is a hunter. That's great but personally not for me. I enjoy being able to use the time on safari to reflect on life, engage in a little introspection and take in the experience of the bush without constantly wondering whether my spouse is having a good time, is she feeling okay, is she safe, etc. But to each his own.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the other perspective, Andrew.

It can definitely go both ways.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
That would indeed be frustrating . . . completely understandable but frustrating. I know for some they would never consider doing a safari without their spouse along regardless of whether or not their spouse is a hunter. That's great but personally not for me. I enjoy being able to use the time on safari to reflect on life, engage in a little introspection and take in the experience of the bush without constantly wondering whether my spouse is having a good time, is she feeling okay, is she safe, etc. But to each his own.

Exactly my take as well. Fortunately for me, my spouse has no interest in taking part in DG hunts and is fine with missing out on those.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Very nice Buffalo and Croc Andrew. It's a shame the hunt had to be cut short but that's great he has booked again (to be continued)

One of my clients will be hunting with De Bruin in October this year in the same area. He's looking for two Kakuli.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 684 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
When I saw your luxuriant locks around your shoulders I had to look twice. I was wondering how the hell John Sharp had invaded the photo op !
Nice trophies by the way. Well done.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Andrew,
When I saw your luxuriant locks around your shoulders I had to look twice. I was wondering how the hell John Sharp had invaded the photo op !
Nice trophies by the way. Well done.

Keeps the sun off my ears and neck mate. Just looking for a Harley to complete the picture!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do say that people get to look like their pets or favourite animals. Andrew has been around lions so long he has grown a mane!
What is happening now with Royal Kafue after the arson?

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, northern Luangwa. Lions, Leopards, Hippos, Buffalo. This brought back memories of last Nov. with you and DeBruin.

I am looking forward to returning some day Andrew.

That must be frustrating to the max! For both you and the hunter.

As the old saying goes, it’s why it’s called hunting instead of getting…

Still frustrating!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote