Find
Notify
Tools

Burkina buff and roan hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted

The first week of February, 2016 was spent in Burkina Faso on a buffalo and roan hunt. Arjun Reddy, a poster here on AR, had offered this hunt. Since I had never hunted western Africa, I bought the hunt for the adventure of a new area. (Also, the price was right) Glad I did-it was great.

Getting there was half the fun. Went through Turkey and spent two days sight seeing in Istanbul. Very interesting.

Arrived in Ougadougou and found almost no one speaks English. Even at the airport. I was greeted by a young man who helped me with the immigration and customs and gun stuff. He was sent by the safari company and was useful as he knew some English. (He was supposed to be there when I left also, but he did not make it. Got through with sign language and common sense.)

The drive to camp the next day was eye opening. Crazy traffic, pot holes, motor bikes and scooters, pedestrians and donkeys all vied for space with the big trucks. The pot holes kept the speed down so no safety issues. The second half of the drive was on dirt roads and was better than the paved part with the pot holes.

The camp was nice if a bit old and dated. Not the standards of East and Southern Africa but much better than North American hunting camps. Food the same story-not like southern Africa but better than Alaska or American West.

The hunting was the same as all over the world. Find tracks or critters, hunt and execute a stalk. The guides are not Professional Hunters but are good hunters and trackers. Arjun explained all this as did the references supplied by the booking agent and the people here on AR who had been there. It took a day or two the learn the difference between hunting with a PH and a Burkina local. When I assumed the role of a PH and used the guide and tracker for guiding and tracking things worked great. I carried the sticks so I could place them exactly where I wanted them instead of having to move them for the shot.

The second day was buffalo day. Three bulls with no cows so just picked the biggest one and shot him. They are not in the same size class as Cape buffalo, but he was an old one and the biggest one I have ever shot. (the only one) I have to say I shot poorly and had a follow up through long grass. Same story with the roan. After the last two safaris where the shots were all easy or lucky, this one humbled me a bit.

The third day was roan day. Long and hot. Walked from seven to eleven thirty and called for the cruiser. (They all have cell phones) As we started back to camp for lunch and a nap, we spotted a lone roan bull. As we followed, we realized he was the last animal in a herd of about thirty. In less than an hour we had spotted and glassed five or six different bulls and finally found one that seemed like he carried larger horns than the others. At this point I was acting as a PH and making the decisions on which animal to pass and which to take, so I decided to take him. He always stayed just out of my comfortable shooting range so I had to take a long shot. After a long follow up due to poor bullet placement, another shot ended it.

I enjoyed the whole experience from the travel to the language issue. They supply an interpreter if you don't speak French. I found that once in the field, I could communicate with facial expressions, shrugs, raised eyebrow, and other hand signals better than having the interpreter right there. I would recommend having one around though for other communication requirements such as planning the day and general questions. I plan on hunting West Africa some more if I can.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to read your report Tom and congratulations on a couple of fine trophies.
Best regards.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent trophies! Well done. West Africa is a unique adventure and half the fun is just getting there! Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congrats

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well done Tom and some cracking trophies you got there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9877 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom.
Great to hear you had an adventurous time in Burkina and a couple of good days in Istanbul.
Thank you for your report and congratulations on your fine trophies. Sounds like you had a fine hunt there. West Africa is becoming popular.
Kind regards
Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hunting was the same as all over the world. Find tracks or critters, hunt and execute a stalk. The guides are not Professional Hunters but are good hunters and trackers. Arjun explained all this as did the references supplied by the booking agent and the people here on AR who had been there. It took a day or two the learn the difference between hunting with a PH and a Burkina local. When I assumed the role of a PH and used the guide and tracker for guiding and tracking things worked great. I carried the sticks so I could place them exactly where I wanted them instead of having to move them for the shot.

GREAT !!!
:-)

This is hunting.
I also hunt normaly "without an PH" in all parts of the world.
Because:
It is your adventure.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Awesome Tom
Wanna hear about it from horses mouth
Libby big bore shoot on July 10th
Check it out on Big bore forum

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Tom great trophies great report I was on the hunt just before you 15 to 29 Jan you missed out on the terrorist attack

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Appreciate your willingness to step into the void with language!

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on some great trophies, and your adventure! Well done and thanks for sharing!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good hunt Tom. I actually enjoyed being the PH and deciding which animals I was going to shoot. Thanks for the report

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, it was a pleasure to arrange your hunt to Burkina. I see you got a photo of that toothless bull ele. I saw him nearly everyday hanging around the waterhole close to camp this year. Last year he was literally a few feet from the truck one early morning when we sped passed him in the dark. The guys said oh he is pretty harmless! I am not so sure I want to get so close to him again!

Burkina and West Africa in general is a great hunting experience. You will have a great time, if you can go with the flow and leave behind your expectations of how things should work after hunting in Southern and East Africa. Their main clientele are French hunters who have different levels of expectations, tolerance, attitude to hunting and camp life when compared to North American hunters.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntburkinafaso.com
New York
Tel: 845 259 3628

Posts: 2541 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Tom! Some good looking animals there.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS on a well done hunt, I admire your sense of adventure

Tim