Notify
Tools

Would you pass on him?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing a four year old so would have to wait.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not my job.

The PH is supposed to know, and I have seen lions where several PHs disagreed on one day, agreed on the next day, then disagreed on the other way another day.

If my PH said shoot, I shoot.

The good ones have no arguments about them.

Those are the ones I like.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Saeed says, the PH's job.

But like Saeed, I have more than one already, so I am not too worked up if they say no now.

That being said, location makes a lot of difference.

That said:

He's not sway backed.
side view of the mane... dunno. Maybe.
No good view of the nose or teeth with this shot.
Can't see the belly.
coat seems a little light colored.
Big cat.

If I had to be the PH, from this view I would say I need another look, or say no.

Lin's more an expert than I will ever be... what does he say?

Posts: 10593 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Definitely a pass.

If there’s any question, the answer is no.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd side with the PH, what'd Lin say??

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The PH is supposed to know, and I have seen lions where several PHs disagreed on one day, agreed on the next day, then disagreed on the other way another day.

They were probably borderline specimen where the decision was better to be safe than sorry; if the x-rays say it is 3 months short the PH is screwed.

Gone is the "black nose theory" of yesteryear.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ask Thierry Labat or Dean Kendall or Pete Wood or Lance Nesbitt or Garry Duckworth or any longtime and ethical PH....

To me, they are all shooters, but my eye does not see what they see....

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:

Brandon, you probably know the rest of the story. Lin and I looked at pics and the feeling was he was a little to young but close enough to sit the next day and get a closer look. We sat and he came in early and were able to watch him for about 20 min. The general feeling he was border line, I told Lin "when in doubt , don't", so we passed him. It was exciting, I had the sights on him, the safety off and my finger on the trigger when Lin said don't shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good decision.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The one pic tells the story and then again it doesn’t.

What I am saying is that the one pic definitely shows he is likely too young but one pic is not enough and more inspection needed.

Y’all did the right thing in looking more closely and likely made the correct decision. I can’t say for sure as I don’t have the visual y’all had. Sounds like y’all handled the situation in a very professional manner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:

Brandon, you probably know the rest of the story. Lin and I looked at pics and the feeling was he was a little to young but close enough to sit the next day and get a closer look. We sat and he came in early and were able to watch him for about 20 min. The general feeling he was border line, I told Lin "when in doubt , don't", so we passed him. It was exciting, I had the sights on him, the safety off and my finger on the trigger when Lin said don't shoot.

I've been patiently awaiting the rest of the details! You and I will have to catch up soon on the phone. Sounds like you guys approached it just right.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
apparently not, big congrats to the hunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One should compare him to the other Lions in the area, as too the gene pool Id think. The brush in some areas depletes the mane, You just have to let the PH make the decision, in many cases the hunter Has unreasonable expectations...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote