ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    2011 Plains game hunt with Spiral horn safaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2011 Plains game hunt with Spiral horn safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted
Hunt: Republic of South Africa/Limpopo
Dates: June 27- July 5th
Equip: Blaser R8 semi-weight 30-06, Asquare hanniable 416 rigby, wifes--Blaser R93 257 wby mag.

Hunting with:http://www.spiralhorn.co.za/

This hunt was conceived when I got on the plane to come home from my 2010 hunt with Louis!

By coachsells at 2010-09-20

My friend Prentiss and I had a wornderful time, hunting and relaxing at Spiral Horn. I have been talking to my wife about taking her on safari. She went thru breast cancer in 2009-2010-- in short it sucked. She has been doing awesome. Her last 3 scans have been good and clean, and she has been coming out of her shell. She told me at christmas that she wanted to hunt! You could have almost nocked me over.

We hunted a little in fall, and found a suitable big game rifle she liked ( a blaser r93 257 wby mag). She shoots it like a dream--most of the time--more on that later.

After a 7 hr delay in ATL we were on our way to Joburg. We arrived at 1:30 am and Louis was there to pick us up! Man what a guy!!!! Louis drove us all night to the ranch and we arrived at sun up. After a quick nap-- and some breakfast we were off for our first game drive.

By coachsells at 2011-07-07

The landscape is just how I remember. I love it--its like west Texas with a little more of an accent and more thorns!

Right before 4pm Louis jumps out of the bakkie and says to my wife--"grab our rifle Audra". She said do you see a Kudu-- Louis said "no an impala". My wife had come for a kudu, but Louis eyes were as big as silver dollars so she got her gun.

A few min later and a boom! Audra had her first African animal in the salt-- a 25 1/2 in impala--what a way to start off:

By coachsells at 2011-07-06

A proud lady

A few pic's later and night was coming on fast. We made it back to camp for a sun downer or two--its a hard life!

The next couple of days we spent looking for Giraffe and Blue Wildebeest for me. Blue wildebeest have always been tough for me. They like to hold up in the brush and clear shots on Louis place are few and far between. On the 3rd day Louis and I find a herd working thru the brush. We work into position and get a shot at them. He was a nice hard headed ol bull.

Hunting Blue Wildebeest - Hunting, Bowhunting, Fishing, Photos and Videos

We drove around the rest of the eve looking for bull Giraffe--nothing! Right before dusk I see something rustling in the brush. David ( Louis appy and board member here) jumps off the cruiser and nabs a pangolian-- It blessed our hunt. What a neat animal:

David:

The next morning we look for Giraffe again--and low and behold we run into the bull we had been looking for we put the sneek on him ( hard for a animal that can see two stories up). I wacked him with a 416 Rigby and put him down with one shot. Giraffe are tough--and Louis has had them run for a couple of days with holes put in them--when they were not placed right the first time. I was glad to see him go down!

Hunting Giraffe - Hunting, Bowhunting, Fishing, Photos and Videos

With the Giraffe off our back we could focus on Gemsbok, Waterbuck and Audra's Kudu. We spent the next day just stalking and looking. Audra had looks at bulls in the 55 to 58in range on Louis place and just could not get on them. on The 6th day we run into a really nice bull-- Audra got into position and Louis walked her thru the shot. She had a long time( a little too long) and hit the Kudu a little far back. We let it stiffen a bit and went to find it. After about an hr we recovered the Kudu and all was saved. Audra felt terriable--but hey thats hunting-- sometimes it does not run smooth. She got her nice 51 in Kudu none the less:

Hunting Kudu - Hunting, Bowhunting, Fishing, Photos and Videos

On the finial day we found me a nice Gemsbok: Made a good stalk--and I put the hammer on him. It was a great way to end a hunt:

Hunting Kudu - Hunting, Bowhunting, Fishing, Photos and Videos

My friend Tip Burns also hunted with us and he took a nice warthog, Blue Wildebeest, and Impala. Louis runs a good camp--and you will have a great time. A few last pics:

Breathtaking sunsets

Great food:

Neat animals

A little danger ( Leopard track outside of camp)

Treating my wife so good she did not want to leave

And a satisfied customer--Louis I will be back my friend!

If any of you guys out there are thinking about taking your wife-- there are too sides to the tale. On the good side you will never have to hide your hunting fund again. The bad part is the hunting fund--just got cut in half! Louis because of you I will need a wallet transplant soon! SmilerMadRazzer

Cheers,

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice animals. It looks like a particularly nice Gemsbok as well.

Congrats on a great hunt.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report Ed and glad to see your wife bouncing back and doing the thing she enjoys again! Some nice trophies, you both should be proud. And how the heck did you manage to drag Tip along...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice report, looks like it was great fun!

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind comments--- Russell, I talked too much one day and Tip said hell--I'm coming. It was his first trip and I think he is already to go back-- although I bet he will take his bow next time!

Here are a few of his hunt

Tip's warthog--he shot a nice female

By coachsells at 2011-07-08

We did not see that many big tusked males--lots of big bodies and short tusk-- tip took this feamale on the forth day

Tip's impala

Coming back from the bush

Its always nice to have your gunsmith along--when you need him.

I hate to see my next gunsmithing bill! ;~)

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt and a strong and brave lady by your side.

I know Tip - 'sat next to him at an AR dinner a few years back. Don't ask me how, but the conversation came around to history and I made the mistake of mentioning how much I admired Lincoln. Who knew you could hit a nerve 150 years later? Tip had family in MS and proceeded to instruct me how Mr. Lincoln had, and I quote, "gutted the Constitution". (Before I get blow-back regarding the War of Northern Aggression, I do qualify as a Son of the Confederacy - 2nd great grandfather, PVT CO A 13 REGT TEXAS VOLS CONFEDERATE STATES.) Anyway, Tip is an entertaining character and my buddy's (who's leaving with me to Zim on the 21st) gunsmith also.

Again, congrats on great trophies, great pictures and a great report.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
nice hunt ed.... i'd talked to tip wednesday, sounds like you guys had a great tip.... good pictures!!! beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt outstanding Pictures Congratulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job Ed, tell the wife "congratulations".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Ed and Tip! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great trip.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go!!!!! Congratulations all around, but especially to your wife for becoming a huntress!

And, regarding your hunting budget, ask Frostbite about that rotflmo

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, I love the photos!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attaboy, Ed!!
Glad to see y'all had a blast. Be prepared though, you've now doubled your safari tab anytime you go!! Big Grin

Call me when you make it out this way soon. Beers on me this time, amigo.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, great trip, especially with the little lady in tow!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed
Great Job remember we need to do the JUmbo together
You know where I live stop in any time.
Got the 375 coming your way next week.
Larry
PS Really glad to see your wife on the hunt with you
praise GOD

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and a double congrats to your wife for her safari and beating breast cancer! My wife is going through it right now and I have seen first hand the impact it has made. God bless you both!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ragsxd
posted Hide Post
congrats to you and your wife;great hunt and pics

Posts: 53 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt. Her impala is really nice!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That Impala is OUTSTANDING!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote