Zim2010/HHK/Hallamore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dates: Sept 1st to Sept 10th 2010
Outfitter: HHK
PH: Clive Hallamore
rifle: 416 RemMag 400Gr TSX and Barnes solids

This was my first trip to Zimbabwe and my first safari for dangerous game. The trip was booked 2 years ago at the Dallas Safari Club convention. The economy brought us very close to having to cancel several times but in the end we made out even better than planned.

The trip over on Delta was long but there were no problems. After overnighting in Joberg we flew to Vic Falls on British Airways. We took a short tour of the falls.

We then took the Cessna 206 to Chete.

The first day was spent tracking buffalo but no shot was taken. We did get up very close to some elephant - I am already trying to figure out how to get back and hunt elephant.

Day two was also spent tracking buffalo - still no chance at a shot but did get a baboon.

On day 3 we were once again tracking buffalo and I made a downhill shot that just grazed the brisket due to me not compensating for the downward angle. We spent 90 minutes tracking through very thick brush expecting a charge but it never came. We found the buff grazing in a relatively open area and I was able to put in 3 good shots.

The next we tracked eland but never got a shot. There were tons of tracks but they were extremely shy. Fishing in the afternoon yielded some tiger fish and my wife reeled in a 37 pound Vundu.

Were were out early the next morning tracking eland and after an 8 km hike we were headed back to the truck and out walked this old bull.

The rest of the days were spent fishing and looking for targets of opportunity.

I had to lay behind a bolder for 15 minutes while the mopani flies drove me crazy waiting for a shot at this kudu.

Also took an impala and a klipspringer.

Then JudgeG flew in and it was time for us to leave. The flight home included the most convoluted process for getting our guns back through Joburg. We visited every police station in the airport at least once and some of them twice but we got back to Dallas with all our stuff.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great hunt and beautiful trophies. Love that kudu and buff. I am 19 days and counting for heading to Tanzania for my first DG hunt. Thanks for the taste. Vince

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done and welcome back to Texas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Great trophies
Congratulations!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great hunt. In the Save last year I had a similar shot at a buffalo with the same outcome. It will not happen again.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Scott:

Great to see you again... and this time in Zim instead of Dallas!

Thanks for the report and I'm glad everything went so well! Save up for that elephant!

See you in January at DSC.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A good hunt report and some very nice trophies! Congrats on your first DG safari! I am sure there will be more to follow!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You and your wife definitely look like Happy Campers! Congratulations on a very successful safari.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a successful safari! tu2

One of Us
Picture of homgoreb
posted Hide Post
Looks like you and the wife had a great trip, congratulations on your outstanding trophies.

Posts: 25 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great safari.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David_B
posted Hide Post
Congrats Dr Scott on a successful hunt. Chete is a very challenging and rewarding place to hunt. It was the site of my very first safari in 1999 with Roy and Alan Vincent. I took a great buffalo, kudu and some plains game. Looking at your photos brought back some great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 62 | Location: VA | Registered: 04 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! With those grins, I think you'll find a way back! Thanks for the report!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Super hunt ... not everyone gets quality PG trophies like those on a buff hunt. You did very well indeed.

You can't go wrong with HHK. Great areas, good PHs, and (may I say) excellent agents!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Congratulations on a successful safari! tu2

+1

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Love that old eland bull!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Love that old eland bull!!!

+1 Congratulations on a successful safari!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some beautiful trophies!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My goodness ... I hunted Chete in '89 with Mike Bunce .. and in 1996 with a very very young Clive Hallamore for leopard on the Humani ... popcorn

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were at Chete with Scott and I can honestly say I have never hunted with a more agreeable hunting partner, watching his wife fight that huge fish for 25 minutes was hilarious...both of us want to go back as soon as we can, I kinda have "elephant fever" too. Nice pictures Scott. I know you had a good time.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2907 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is Clive doing ??? With 15 years of experience he must be getting good at the PH stuff .. Smiler

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clive seemed to be doing quite well. I hope to hunt with him again. He hunted hard every day and got me what I consider great trophies. He and his dad kept us all entertained with stories (both hilarious and shocking). Most importantly, he kept my wife entertained with discussions of the latest vampire novels and only made her mad once when he "shushed" her as we were stalking eland. Keeping the wife happy is of paramount importance when it comes to getting the OK to plan the next safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrat's on a great hunt, and yes, we need to keep the "better half" happy so they will support our "bad habits".

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Many congratulations DrScott on some great trophies, and to your wife on that big Vundu. My wife caught some big tiger in Zim, but never hooked a vundu. Maybe we need to have a wive's fishing tournament in Zim, and, just for a change/break, the husbands can do a small walkabout for, oh, I don't know, elephant maybe?

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've never heard shouting like BigGuy458's wife when she finally caught a tiger fish all on her own from casting to landing the fish.

A huge improvement for her as I have heard that 2 years ago she hooked Lou while attempting to cast.