ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Re: SafariBotswana Bound never again!

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: SafariBotswana Bound never again!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How did this turn out, in the end? Was SBB vindicated? After reading this thread, my impression was that they were criticized a bit unfairly.

What ended up happening?

dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
When all the facts were revealed, Glen and Ron quit posting emotional and factless rebuttals. The safari contract documents cleared SBB. The was no need for further discussion as the issue was beat to death. There was an online poll and it also favored SBB, although that was nothing more than opinion. The contracts revealed the facts.

I saw Graeme at the Dallas Safari Club show in January and he and Amber are doing very well. He now has another concession in Mozambique which brings his total to three. I would personally have no reservation with doing business with Graeme.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a quiet reader of this forum, but would like to offer something. Donated hunts are the same thing as trying to get something for nothing. The outfitter has been pressured to donate a hunt to an organization that in turn takes all of the money for their members benefit. What does the outfitter get? A hunter with high expectations because the hunter thinks he has helped the "cause" of the organization. In truth, the outfitter is paying to be at the show, paying for booth space and paying for the purpose of the organization. The donor/buyer of the hunt is putting tremendous strain on the donator/outfitter to provide something with little or no financial incentive. Be real about this - there is no free lunch out there. If you want to hunt - pay a fair price for the service. If you are a member of an organization - make your donation in cash or dues or whatever - but quite asking the resource provider to pay our way.

I would not accept a free hunt or a donated hunt for these reasons.

I would like to hear an anonymous response from an outfitter on this.

Posts: 10217 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another late post here.
Being one who is in the process of making a 1st trip to Africa, this is something I had to follow. I read every word! There are pissing matches on here I don't waste my time with,but I could'nt put this one down.
It does not seem to me that this trip was anywhere close to the disaster it seemed to start out to be. Matter of fact...There had to be more to this to attack the accused party(SBB)the way these boys did. G&D, neither of you look too creditable. I hate to give you any gratification because of the way you have gone about this. In my mind you have shed some doubt about SBB though. That is what you were after.
Graeme, you defended yourself well. Maybe these guys are just a couple of cheap power snivlers. The tip part was evidence of that.

deadlocked jury

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Dogcat; I humbly disagree with you on the donated hunt issue. In this case, SBB got 30% of the auction price back which amounted to $ 2,500, which is not profit, but surely went toward covering costs which were primarily fuel and food. I paid $ 2,400 in lisence fees and I tipped the staff and PH most generously. I know that my hunt with SBB had costs, but I trust it may have been close to a wash.

Than again, I came back and published a detailed hunt report in our SCI Chapter newsletter which was most complimentary. And since I had such an enjoyable experience, I also published a hunt report here on AR. Not that I wouldn't have posted one if I had a bad experience, but I had an incentive to do so because I did have a good time. Suppose how many hundreds or thousands of people might have seen it.

Also, in some cases if the outfitter donates a hunt of a certain value, the club (SCI / DSC) can and may provide the outfitter with booth space and other amenities in return for the donation. I know that is a policy of my local chapter, but not sure about others.

So, in addition to the outfitters contribution to hunting conservation (which is what SCI does with the $$) the outfitter has an opportunity to strut his stuff and then the member/hunter will tell others of his fabulous hunt. A form of advertising....

SBB donates several hunts to local SCI chapters as well as one for the national each year, which is most generous in my opinion. If Graeme were to drop in I suppose he would say he donates to give back to the industry which provides his livelyhood and to build his reputation, which is everything in the outfitting industry. And in my opinion, he has a fine reputation.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that SBB did not make money on this deal, and all safari companies that are coerced into donating a hunt have my sympathy. I think it is a practice that should be terminated.

However, I also do not understand why the terms of the written contract were not followed.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post's like this make me the "moer in" We will have to double check outfits that have sent through donation packages to the BC chapter of SCI, Thanx for the heads up. Does this guy own his land or not.

Sometimes I think it is a good thing to have your own contract that get's signed, then it is not a one sided situation, then a briech of contract is a briech of contract, both from the outfitter and client side.

Posts: 151 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
500 grains- you never said a truer word. IMO SCI have now turned into nothing more than a money making machine. Their HQ is a fine example of this.

The sooner outfitters start to work together and try to find a way to limit the hunt donation thing the better. The astronomical price of taking a booth at the convention added onto the hunt donation is forcing everyone to jack their prices up more and more and the only people to benefit are SCI. Hunters lose out because they have to pay more for their hunt and the outfitters lose out because less hunters book due to the higher prices.

Contracts: as I read it on this occasion, the contract was stuck to, but the hunt purchaser just decided to bleat unfairly some time after he got home. The outfitter just posted the signed contract and that should have been an end to the matter. I'd add to that comment by saying that in my eyes the purchaser got a really good deal on the hunt and how he has the neck to complain I simply don't know .....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would you outfitters/guide services think of coming to a show without the obligation to donate a hunt but to donate 5% of what you book through the show to a verifiable conservation project in Africa or whereever the attendees chose?

What should booth fees be?
How long should the show last?
What is the best way to attract attendees?

Posts: 10217 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Why should we have to donate anything?. We already pay for the booth+carpets+furniture+power+cleaning+++++

On top of that, as you know the entrance fees for the general public are outragous.

Even if there was no donation whatsoever SCI would still be making a good profit on the show......I'm not anti-SCI, but I am anti donation. Everyone has the right to make a fair profit, but this donation thing is now way out of hand. I don't know how many hunts were donated this year, but I'd like to know their total retail worth........ I would guess that it takes an obscene amount of money out of the industry.

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell all these donations do is lead to infation of safari costs. I am always ask for donations in my office...the people who extort donation...will never use you anyway.

I think the outfitters should start to decline the donated hunts and offer an incentive for anyone who books with them.

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If the outfitter doesn't want to make a donation of some sort he doesen't get a booth. If he wants a booth in a good location he has to donate a hunt. So it's a case of donate or don't come........so I don't go and an ever increasing number of outfitters (that I know) are doing the same.

Fortunately, we have a large clientel who rebook every year due to the high service level and good quality hunt we give them. By the time we add recommendations and new business from the website we don't need to go to the conventions ........and that's the way I intend to keep it.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Well said..Many who want a safari want it for nothing..
When we want to sell something we want top dollar..Expect nothing less...To buy a hunt for a song and expect the same for a hunt that I or any pay five figures for...makes no sense to me...Someone has to pay the food and fuel bill..and other amenities also...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find forced hunt donations to be morally offensive.

Are thoracic surgeons required to perform open heart surgery for free in order to get into medical conventions?

Do plumbers have to unclog toilets for free to get into home depot?

Do lawyers have to get Martha Stewart off the hook to get into the Bar convention?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Are thoracic surgeons required to perform open heart surgery for free in order to get into medical conventions?

This is almost a true statement.....close to 40% of all medical sevices are never paid for or are Forced discounts. Some state run programs set the fees at 50-60% of what is considered resonable and customary. The worst are paid a 11 cents on the dollar.

Urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buying a hunt at the convention is bound to have a few things unsettled. That is why there are booking agents, to iron out these things and answer your questions sufficiently.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why should we have to donate anything?. We already pay for the booth+carpets+furniture+power+cleaning+++++

Steve, why do you think that Safari Club should let you in to sell your product at there convention for free? Does a magazine, a newspaper or even a booking agent sell your product for free? Why do you feel that all you need to pay is the expenses to the Convention Center and not to the organizer?

Quote:

On top of that, as you know the entrance fees for the general public are outragous.

18000 people paid that amount to see what was for sale. Some people think it is outrageous to pay $1200/day to hunt in Tanzania also.

Quote:

Even if there was no donation whatsoever SCI would still be making a good profit on the show......I'm not anti-SCI, but I am anti donation. Everyone has the right to make a fair profit, but this donation thing is now way out of hand. I don't know how many hunts were donated this year, but I'd like to know their total retail worth........ I would guess that it takes an obscene amount of money out of the industry.

What is the costs to save hunting in Africa? Do you think that you have anything to do with it? How much have you spent to lobby the UN, The US Congress, The EU? How much have you contributed to rewriting the CITES Regulations to allow import into Europe and North America of Leopard, Elephants and the other animals you make your living hunting?

This past year SCI Exhibitors did over 45 Million Dollars worth of business at the Convention. That is over $56,000 for each exhibitor in four days. This does not include the balance yet to be paid on hunts that were booked or the trophy fees.

If Outfitters want to whine about how much it costs then go set up your booth on the street corner or some local Sportsmans Show and see how much business you get for your effort.

The real issue is Outfitters want to pay nothing and have SCI market there wares for them. For some reason they think that they are owed a forum by SCI because they are outfitters. What hogwash.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do plumbers have to unclog toilets for free to get into home depot?

Do lawyers have to get Martha Stewart off the hook to get into the Bar convention?

500grains

I expected better of you. A pretty pathetic comparison, don't you think?

Do you think that Doctors attend the AMA Convention for free? That there is no entrance fee? Do you think all of those suppliers of million dollar machines and the multi million Dollar Pharmaceutical Companies get their display areas and Hospitality Rooms for free?

Do you really believe that suppliers and vendors pay nothing at other Conventions for an opportunity to sell their product to a specific clientele?

Really?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote