Find
Notify
Tools

Republic of South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
These trophies was taken in a 100 mile Radius of Port Elizabeth South Africa. I used a .300 H & H with 200 grain Swift A-Frames on the Gemsbok and the Kudu and I used a model 92 Winchester .25-20 on the Springbok and the Duiker. It was a fabulous time

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
vapodog,

Congratulations, looks like you had a great hunt. I love that lever action rifle, and with open sights.

Who was your outfitter?

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a nice hunt. Congrats!

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That mountain behind the gemsbuck sure looks familiar. Is it "The Old Man", lying down face up with a big nose to the sky?

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Brian Seady of Two Rivers Safaris was the outfitter and yes.....the old man lying face up was in the horizon.....Very good.

The .25-20 was my father's favorite rifle. In 1932 he took three whitetail deer in three shots in three seconds. The gun has not been used for big game since then because it was outlawed in the state he hunted. I thought Africa was a good place for it and yes it certainly is. I reload the Hornady 60 grain bullet to 2,200 '/sec.

It's a fine 100 yard gun for animals under 100 pounds live weight and there's a lot of them there.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Vapodog,

Great pictures of your beautiful trophies. The 25-20 was a great idea! The country side seems pretty interesting also. Congratulations.

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
vapodog,

Just curios and just for comparison...what were the initial measurements of your Duiker and Gemsbok? I just got back from the P.E. myself and my Duiker and Gemsbok were nice ones also.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
TXPO
Sorry I can't help you, I didn't care what the measurements was.....all I know is that my PH told me that three of the animals will make the Safari Club book..... That wasn't too big a deal to me because all of them surely make MY book.

I believe I saw your duiker and I believe your horns are longer than mine.....Congratulations....but mine is headed for a full body mount regardless of his dimensions. I thought enough of him to pull the trigger and he'll me memorialized when he gets here from Africa.

There are some photo tricks such as have the blue sky as background to the horns and they'll appear much bigger. I believe my Gemsbok's 40" (as I recall) would look more like it if that had happened.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
great Duiker there.........I like it

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Good pics regardless of how high the animals [Smile] score. You have a great attitude about the books. My hat's off to you.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos of the beautiful trophies and country. Congratulations, looks like you had a great hunt.

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
It was a great hunt. I hunted five days and very hard for that Kudu. It was my #1 reason for going to Africa.
Heck, I'm still not sure I actually did it!!

It was truly the most fabulous time of my life!!!

Next time.....Cape Buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I love your style--using a Winchester '92 in .25-20, with the family history and tradition to match--is a wonderful touch.

I hope you will take something a little bigger for the buff, though. [Wink]

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
mrlexma, I built a .375 H & H from a 1917 enfield as a kid. It's been converted to cock on opening, three position safety, and a full four cartridge magazine. I assure you I'll take something a little bigger than a .25-20 for the Buffalo.

I was seriously worried about losing that Model 92 on the airways....and I'll never take it again.

It's days are now waiting for the next generation.