ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    buffalo and elephant with Kudu trails

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

buffalo and elephant with Kudu trails
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I chose to hunt with Kruger Human of Kudu trails in South Africa. www.kudutrails.co.za
I wanted to hunt Buffalo and an elephant cow. He set a hunt up for me in Zimbabwe. Booking this hunt with Kruger work out great for me! It took care of any concerns I had about Zim as he took care of all from Joho to the hunt. It also allowed me to hunt with a PH I knew and trusted!
We flew from Joho to Vic Falls. There we stayed at the ultimate Africa lodge. It was a great place with great people and food. They took care of all our needs. In the morning we chartered out to camp. I hunted the monjola campfire area bordering the chizarira national park. Camp was a simple but nice camp. The food was great and all things ran smooth. We were met by Peter Baker and he also took great care of us. The hunt went great we took the extra time to see the area and I was successful on both animals. We saw many elephant and much buffalo sign. I saw nice Kudu, waterbuck , warthogs, impala, bushbuck and a great sable. The area was very dry and even a few fires burned in the area. I still finished my hunt early with less than ideal hunting conditions.
I never felt the least bit nervous in Zim and can recommend this hunt to all.
 -
 -

[ 09-25-2003, 23:14: Message edited by: tonto ]

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
tonto,

Thanks for the report and pictures. Zimbabwe is a great place to hunt. I hope we'll all be able to hunt it in the future.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I read earlier Why do people hunt buffalo....the best reply was because we can't afford to hunt elephants. If the question was why did I hunt Kudu, I'd now reply because I can't afford to hunt Buffalo..

All kidding aside, I really want to thank you for the story and photos...That buff is a beauty!!

It'll certainly spear me on for my own buffalo.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you tell us about that rifle? It certainly is handsome.

It looks like the elephants tusks are ground flat on the bottom. Is that common, or something about the area (lots of rocks, etc)?

Thanks for the pics. Any good stories to go with them?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Trademark texan
Thanks! the rifle is an interarms markx 458 win mag that I restocked myself. I added cross bolts bedded the whole thing. Did the nose cap and some simple inlays.I still want to replace the sights and have some engraving done to it.
They told me her tusks were like that because she was quite old. One was cracked an about to break off 6 inches shorter.
Here is a link to a thread with the hunt in more detail.
http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008401

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto,
Glad you had a great hunt and congratulation on some nice stuff...

Texan,
the tusks are ground from use in feeding, etc. Most elephants are right handed or left handed and you will notice one tusk will be used more than the other.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote