New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panasonic digital cameras?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Don't want to pollute Saeed's thread about his Canon camera.

I've been leaning toward a Canon, but a buddy of mine who does a lot of photography is trying to steer me toward a Panasonic DMCFZ10K Digital Camera Black 4 megapixel, 12X IS zoom.

Any comments, good or bad??

Here are some specs on it:

Panasonic DMCFZ10K

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard, it is an excellent camera.

I chose the Canon because of the video capability of that one, and also it is smaller..

You have to weigh your own requirements when making your choice.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The lens is better on the Panasonic.

Posts: 67217 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Saeed.

Does your camera have a lag on the shutter, when you push the shutter button? We have a Canon A75 at work, and there is the 1 second lag before the picture is taken. Afterwards, a lag while it processes the digital image. I don't like that, and I believe the Panasonic doesn't do that.

My buddy's high end digital ($3500) has the feature just like a 35 mm. Push the button and the shutter is immediate. It will take sequential pics as fast as you push the button. I'm just not that big into photography that I want to spend $3500 on a camera.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed -- I have been checking out digital cameras quite a bit and the Canon is out in front (for me) for the same reasons that our host cites below (the Canon is much smaller and has the bonus of being able to take video clips of up to an hour). I also agree the Panasonic is a good choice too though.

Furthermore, Canon has long been a leader in image stabilization (in binoculars, video cameras, and in interchangeable camera lenses for their other camera lines) -- Panasonic and others are still a bit behind. The CF memory cards for the Canon are a bit cheaper too, but that is only a one-time expenditure.

My opinion anyway -- worth exactly what you paid for it!

jpb

Saeed said:
Quote:

From what I have heard, it is an excellent camera.

I chose the Canon because of the video capability of that one, and also it is smaller..

You have to weigh your own requirements when making your choice.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The lens is better on the Panasonic.

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The shutter lag is much less noticeable with the newer cameras.

In fact, the only part I notice is the time it takes for the camera to write to the memory disk.

It actually pays to buy a fast memory disk, as this time can be reduced dramatically then.

Posts: 67217 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the better sites around for info on digital cameras

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.htmls

the longest lag time on the Panasonic occurs when you push the shutter and it isn't prefocused and that is about 1 second. If you have it prefocused it's about half that time. We have one at work and it's a nice camera but the lag time does drive me nutty.

I've tried using it for some pics of the grandkids playing soccer (the 12x zoom is great) but you never get the photo you thought you were taking.

I just retired for the 2nd time and I'm using part of my "good-bye" check to buy one of the new Nikon digital SLRs.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Get the D70.

It is absolutely fantastic.

I am taking one with me to Tanzania this year.