ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    2022 Zambia with Thor Wildlife Safaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2022 Zambia with Thor Wildlife Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
July-August 2022 Zambia buffalo, hippo hunt with Thor Wildlife Safaris
I booked this hunt through Wendell Reich last year, for my eleventh trip over. The flights were long and uneventful, and yes they suck. Once in camp I was made to feel like it was home away from home.
First day buffalo hunting
After a quick check of my rifles zero we were off to look for a bull with a bad limp that had been hanging around a swamp area. The camp loiterer, we will call him John L. from New Zealand, had seen him 2 days prior to my arrival. To my surprise, he was there. We were able to get within 15-20 yards of him, but no shot opportunity. His front end was stuck in the bushes with his ass sticking out. After a few seconds he sensed us and took off. At around 100 yards he turned to face us with that famous buffalo stare, daring us to come get him. It didn’t take long for him to say “screw this” and run into the high grass. After a few hours of trying to figure out exactly where he was, Thor decided we were flirting with disaster. The new plan was to come back that afternoon and see if we can find him.
After lunch and a short rest we were back in the same area of the mornings hunt. This time he was lying in the mud, in the open, ASLEEP. In case you are wondering, yes, cape buffalo do snore. We approached to about 30 yards. Near to the closest tree to the buffalo that both of us could climb, just in case. I stood there at the ready for what seemed like a long time but was probably less than 10 seconds. Thor said when he sees us he is going to come for us, be ready. I watched him open his eyes and a look of surprise as I’m sure he was thinking, where did you come from. He struggled to get up, obviously he was badly injured. Once on his feet he looked at me with a sad look in his eyes. I will never forget that look. I could tell he was hurting pretty bad. Boom, boom, boom and he was down for good. He had 2 pretty large festering holes on top of his back and a big gash on his left shoulder. Maybe he had been in a fight with a younger more fit bull. As there are several lions in this area it would not have taken long for them to get him. I shook hands with the team and took the customary trophy pictures. We loaded him up and headed back to camp. He is a great bull and it was not proper to let him suffer. Thus ended the first days hunting.
This is not how my hunting trips usually go. Normally it takes several days for me to pull the trigger. I love the hunt, and the shot usually ends the hunt. The rest of my stay at Munyamadzi accounted for a massive bull hippo, a very nice impala, bushbuck, and an old puku. We hunted roan for several days but the old bulls out witted us. That is fine by me. It leaves me with a desire to return and a target animal for the next hunt.
A big thanks to PH Thor Kirchner, appy PH Josh Stephenson, camp loiterer John L. from New Zealand. Also a big thumbs up to the hunting team. Mr. White, Besamu, Cobra, Shibo, and game scout Lady Meriam.

Sorry these pictures are so big, I am technologically challenged.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine hunt. Very nice trophies! Really like your Buffalo. Thor was an appy PH under my PH, Andrew Baldry, years ago. I’ve heard nothing but good comments from Andrew about Thor, and I can see why from your hunt.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well done on your safari and I am glad that Thor looked after you well.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All nice, but I really like the bushbuck.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great stuff and couldn't agree more on the bushbuck, he's a stud. Love that you humanely dispatched the buff too. Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conrats, thanks for posting.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

All great animals! Well done.
Munyamadzi is a special place - great camp on the river and superb bushbuck!
Congratulations on a successful hunt and thanks for sharing!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Nothing like a Luangwa safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
That Buff looks like you did him a huge favor by humanely shooting him. The lions and hyenas would have literally eaten him alive in he next week or two. A true trophy!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. As previously stated, Thor's place certainly produces some great bushbuck!

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. tu2

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a great report and fantastic hunt Brian. Was a pleasure hunting with you and look forward to the next safari.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 314 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Thor, we must make a plan for the roan.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Great area!

Posts: 10163 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote