New
Find
Notify
Tools

How critical is glassing ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Although Terry's list ( and others ) mention binoculars, just how much time is spent by a hunter using them on plains game hunt? I would assume the PH does most of it and the hunter, of course, would be free to do as much as he / she pleased.

Guess I'm trying to figure out how much to invest in a pair. From what I've been able to gather a primary ( but not only ) advantage to the more expensive binoculars is durability over the years. I really doubt that I would be using them for much more than a hunt in the Northern Provinces.

I would much rather put the money into a good digital camera to record the experience. Just how much emphasis should be on the binoculars, consdiering that something has to give in the budget.

Thanks

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I use the binoculars just to distinguish which animal the PH is talking about or to get a clear picture through the brush. I don't spend a lot of time picking out the shooter in the herd, I let the PH do that.

Binoculars are absolutely necessary (don't get out of the hunting car without them), but if your on a budget, any decent pair will work.

I have switched to a relatively inexpensive pair of compact binoculars. I got tired of the weight of the full size binoculars.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
I'm not saying that expensive binoculars aren't worth it. But I would spend more of the budget on the camera so you will have high quality pictures to remember your safari. I have full size Swarovskis, full size Pentax and compact Leupold (the cheap ones, Wind River) binoculars. I can clearly tell the difference in quality and sharpness among these three binoculars. In the world of binoculars, the more money you spend, the better performance you receive.

[ 09-02-2003, 08:00: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I made the horrible mistake of not taking binoculars.....I've always used the scope on my gun.

My PH had a set of very expensive binoculars.....like $1,400. I looked thru them and they was spectacular....Zwarofski I think. Pardon my spelling. I own a cheap and small set of 12 X 20 that fit in my shirt pocket. I think they was under $100 but I dearly wish I had taken them. They don't have to be expensive.....use a lens pen from Luepold and keep your glass clean. But by all means take a set of binoculars.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We awalys use Leica 10X25 compact binos. They never get in the way and you can see what ever you need to.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Having spent about 7 months in the last two years in the African bush, I can vouch for the need for good binoculars. I strongly recommend buying the best pair that you can afford. On an average hunt, you will be spending a lot of time looking through them, not just at animals, but at birds, plants, rocks, trees, and just the scenery in general.

I have a pair of Nikon binoculars that I like, but they are definintely not Swarovski or Zeiss.

A good pair of binoculars will make your hunt that much more enjoyable.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bob,

A decent pair of bins enable to share so much more with whats going on around you. I would imagine your PH will be giving you a running commentry about the finer details he can see while he is glassing and you will feel left out with out them...

As a good all round pair, I would recommend a set of 8x30mm which at the very least are waterproof. This may seem strange, but have a browse through any Bird Watching magazines sold in your area. They are serious about binos and should carry recommendations and "road tests" of different models in various price ranges...

Personally I use 7x42 Swarovski and have never regretted buying them..IMO, To get something which is usable and reliable, you need to spend at least $200 but it will be money well spent for your Safari as you will only have 50% of the trip without them...

Also, once you get used to using them, you *will* take more deer at home, no matter how close the cover is where you hunt. It does however mean altering the style you hunt and really puts the "still" into still hunting!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Carr said a mouthfull of good advice! On my first trip I took an old set of Minoltas 10x25 that I had been using and liked. They were almost useless. A more experienced friend was using 10x25 Leicas and when I got back I bought a pair. Next trip I decided to take them instead of my 8x32 Minox- big mistake. My PH 8x32's were outstanding and I could never get on the game in time with the smaller binos because of the field of view and the lower light ability. Take good binos even if you use the old Zeiss-Jenas that were surplus a few months ago. The weight will be an inconvenience but at the moment that Oryx walks into the edge of the road at dusk and the thorn bushes are in the way and your PH is saying "He's right there" and you still can't find him in your 10x shirt pocket variety, you'll wsih for the 8x40's that weigh 8 oz more.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. This is what I needed to read.

So many articles in gun rags praising the virtues of high-end optics for hours of glassing for pronghorns, etc., and warnings not to buy cheap and a guy starts to think there must be a middle ground somewhere.

I've been hoping that a binocular somewhere between $250-300 would fill my needs, and most posts confirm this. So far I have been impressed (for the price) with the Nikon Monarch binos. Leaves me enough to put towards a good camera.

Again, thanks.

one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
Bob, may I suggest you have a look at the Steiner Safari 8x30. It goes for just under $200 and has attached lens covers and rubber coating. They are a great value. Mine have a yellow mirror coating on the lenses and the green vegetation contrasts brilliantly against earth tones which makes seeing brown animals alot easier. Great for low light too.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric..
Made a note on the Steiner. I'll check it out next time I'm in the store.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Borealis Bob
A good set of binos are worth every penny.
I highly recommend something in the 8x30 class. Anything smaller in size, higher in power, or bigger insize is just too, small, big or too shakey. [Big Grin]
In Short, a quality pair of 8x30's is the perfect all round pair of bino's...IMHO
Good luck on your trip.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've really been impressed with the Steiners that have been sold as "Marine" 7x40. They were around last year for $179 at Natchezz Shoooters and Sierra Trading post. I tried a pair that a friend bought and I could read a sign on the construction sight a mile from my office. I was amazed at the resolution. They were really bright too.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be an odd duck but I use my binocs a little differently. When we spot some game and the PH and scouts are looking them over I tend to use my binocs to look where they aren't....on the other side of the road.....50 yards or more away from the animal or animals they are looking at....bascially I am looking for the odd animal that isn't with the others...the big one that is hanging back etc. This is the way I spotted my big sable ...well away from the herd and my waterbuck...he hadn't crossed the road with the females...etc etc. I fugure if the PH sees something for me to shoot I can find him in my scope and save some time.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a place in California(can't think of the name right now) that specializes in used european optics. Check shotgun news or Gun List. They always have a 2 page ad in all the gun rags. They are good and get the price of european optics down to the "merely unreasonable" range. I have bought a number of first rate second hand items from them. You have recieved good advice about full size quality optics. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
As you want them for plains game, it might be a good idea to have a good pair for looking for game at a distance (usually in camp if it has a view). I usually carried them in the cruiser, but do not carry any...too heavy.

Now I have not much use for any, but take along a pair of Swarovski 8x20 compacts. And I leave them in the cruiser!

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Borealis Bob,

Yo do not need to buy the very best, therefore the most expensive, binocular.

But you do need a pair of binoculars, indeed.

Believe me, you will use them a lot. Much more thsn your hunting rifle or your scope.

The shot will just be the culmination of your stalk, the culmination of your hunt. And to hunt you need binoculars.

regards,

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,
that was a good tip and well worth remembering.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote