New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gras Ranch 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend and I hunted Gras last March and really enjoyed ourselves. In fact, so much so that I returned there this March with my wife.

Before hunting at Gras, my wife and I spent 4 weeks on a self-drive tour of Namibia (3 weeks) and Botswana (1 week).

This time around, I hunted for eland and waterbuck. After hunting for some time on actual Gras land, Errol Lambrechts arranged for me to hunt on Hoodia, a ranch next door owned by Reinhard Schmidt. Reinhard is a bit particular regarding who he will allow to hunt on his property; only good shots with big guns. So, when Errol told him I was hunting eland with a 7 RM, he refused me permission. I don't know what Errol said to change Reinhard's mind, but, thanks to Errol's persuasive assurance, I was then allowed access to hunt both waterbuck and eland. Turned out that Hoodia had plenty of both.

We left Gras early in the morning and the plan was to meet up with Reinhard on Hoodia where his foreman, Deon, lived in the original ranch house. On the way, we spotted a good waterbuck but passed on it. We then spotted a better waterbuck at 218 yds and Errol recommended I take it. My first shot was about 6" too high and the bullet hit the spine shattering it. A second into the chest was given. So, by 8:00 am, I already had my waterbuck.

Once at the Hoodia ranch house, Deon expressed his misgivings about my use of a 7 RM on eland. He himself used a 375 Ruger on everything. Nonetheless, I felt confident that a well placed Berger bullet would prove effective. Fairly confident anyway.

Over the course of the next hour or two, we spotted eland in small groups and in herds, one of the latter containing 87 eland. Next, we spotted 3 eland bulls and Errol said one was worth a closer look so we jumped off the bakkie and went for a closer look. After a 1/2 hour stalk, I chose to pass on the larger of the three. Although, he carried long, thick horns, he wasn't as blue as I wanted nor did he have the thick face fur we all covet.

Back on the bakkie, we continued our search for the right eland bull. Soon we were in pursuit of a small herd of 7 bulls. Both Errol, and his tracker Picky, believed one of the bulls carried good horns, was blue and sported thick facial hair.

Following along in the bakkie, we lost then found the bulls over and over as they trotted along mile after mile. As before, my intent was to first close the gap, then jump off the bakkie and pursue on foot.

As we continued to close in, the eland broke into a gallop. The bull I wanted was third from the front. The first two bulls passed in front of us, but the third, my bull, and the others suddenly swerved and were thundering by behind us at around 100 yds.

Yaers before, I had comprised a chart detailing the required lead for shooting running game with my 7 RM. The two variables were distance to target and speed of target. While establishing my lead, I formed a mental picture of this chart. Seconds counted, and it was now or never before I would lose the opportunity for a shot.

Hoping for the best, I squeezed off the shot. Much to my surprise, the big, bull eland immediately went down. Soon everyone was congratulating me on a fine shot. I attempted to set the record straight by defining it as a lucky shot but no one would hear of it. I decided there was no point in ruining a great moment and went along with the popular belief I had made an outstanding shot.

The 168 Berger VLD had entered the chest nicking the liver, passing through lungs and shredding 1/2 of the heart.

According to Rinehard, it's the largest eland ever taken on his property. I couldn't have been happier. In truth, everyone was still excited about the event; a great trophy and a great shot (well, sort of).

After performing a traditional German ritual of respecting the animal with a stem of grass, Rinehard invited us all over to his personal home on Hoodia for champagne and other drinks.

In addition to the waterbuck and Eland, I killed a warthog and a large baboon. Of all the animals, the baboon proved the most difficult to shoot. I believe we spent a total of four days hunting baboons only to kill this one in the last hour of the last day.

In short, I cannot say enough positive things about Gras Ranch and those who work and live there. I can't think of anyone better to spend a day in the field with than either Errol or Bollie. Melanie treated us to even better meals than last year. Everyone at Gras goes the extra mile to ensure you enjoy every minute you spend there. There is an abundance of game, the scenary is beautiful and the accommodations comfortable.

As our PH, Errol was truly exceptional. Thanks to him and his enfluence, I was able to take a great waterbuck and an exceptional eland. Thanks to him, and everyone at Gras, both my wife and I enjoyed another unforgetable stay.

Unfortunately, I do not possess the required skills to post photos. However, if anyone would be so kind as to post my photos for me, I would be happy to share them.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 187 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Wish I had a month or more to spend tooling around Africa. Smiler

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I can't get over how green it was there. From what I hear, you probably need a rain coat during a good bit of your stay in Namibia. Let's hear more about your self-drive tour.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a goood time.....Gras is a great place to hunt and Errol is a great PH to hunt with.....I want to go back and take a waterbuck .....all of yours are good looking trophies...congrats

<generalwar>
posted
Nice stuff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, lovely photos. Nothing like a little bit of greenery to liven up an African trophy photo.

Don't forget to elaborate on the self-drive tour portion of your trip!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bobby, thanks for posting that report.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bobby
Fine animals.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this point, I've a number of obligations demanding my time. After I catch up, and my wife organizes some photos, I'd be happy to present some info of the self-guided drive. I'll post on the African Travel Forum.

Thanks to Graylake for posting my photos.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby B., congratulations on a great hunt. Also on your "lucky" shot on the running eland. You likely have heard the definition of luck: when preparation meets opportunity.

I enjoyed seeing Stefan and Picky in the photos. They are two of the nicest men you'd ever want to meet. Love Stefan's old cap, he wears it at the exact same angle in just about every photo.

My wife and I had lunch with Errol at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas in January, and then spent the afternoon visiting various booths at the show.

As you probably know Errol has long been (and remains) a fan of Barnes bullets. However he now also speaks highly about Berger bullets, mainly I think because of the good results you had on your 2010 hunt. Glad to see the success continued this year.

Your photos and report have made me want to get back to Gras and its fine people even more than I did already, if that is possible.

Look forward to your report of your travels in Namibia. We would love to do something similar on our next trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Beautiful animals! I can't wait to get back to Namibia some day! Been there twice, once in June and the other in July. My PH said this years rains have been great!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing your trip with those of us who have not had the chance to go yet.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of craven
posted Hide Post
Very nice, cograts on a wonderful hunt.. Cool

Posts: 139 | Location: Florida | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. Great looking animals

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote