ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    A Young Gun with a question about Hunters Namibia Safaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Young Gun with a question about Hunters Namibia Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Hello everybody! I just joined the forum yesterday and I'm amazed at how much activity goes on here. I'm only 17. Hope ya'll don't mind having a "Young Gun" around. Well, I've got a question. My parents and I are looking to book our first Safari ever! We've decided on Namibia. I've done tons of research and I think I've found the right place. Has anyone either hunted with or know someone who has hunted with Hunters Namibia Safaris? The PH's name is Joof Lamprecht and he owns Rooikraal Game Ranch. We will be going in either the summer of '06 or '07 for 14 days. I will be after Kudu, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Blue and Black Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok, Warthog, Springbok, Burchell and Mtn. Zebra, Waterbuck, and whatever else I can afford to shoot. My parents are going to come along and video and do a little hunting. My dad is after Kudu, Gemsbok, and Impala. While my mom is going for Kudu, Gemsbok, Warthog, and Baboons. Let me know any thoughts you might have. Look forward to making some new friends here!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Eland slayer,

Welcome aboard thumb and keep your dreams alive...I have not hunted Namibia, but I have safaried in RSA for plains game and Zim for my bull ele and nyati..Shot ele at 30 feet and buf at 45yds...
How close are you to Dallas and January is the Dallas safari club convention and you can come with your parents and meet a whole mess of us safari guys.. We will be there in force...With our AR hats on...
Forgot to tell you, I am going to the Selous in July of 06 for a 21 day full bag safari.. Thanks to AR..
regards,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
retreever

I live just north of Houston. Not sure if we'll be going to the Dallas Safari Club show. I'm a member of SCI and we go to the Houston show every year. Tanzania is my destination of choice for my 2nd safari. I really want to go for 21 days for ele, lion, and 3 buffs. Can't wait! I think I've already planned my entire life of safari hunting. I plan on going as many times as possible. Thanks for the welcome.

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Eland Slayer,

I am also a Tomball resident and am going to Namibia in May. I am going to be hunting with Vaughan Fulton for leopard and plains game. Sorry, I can't help with any information on the PH you mentioned, but good luck to you and your parents on your safari.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Welcome Aboard,

I do not remember seeing his name. You might try a search on the forums, hunting and reports for his name. If you have not booked, Robert Johnson did a report on a great hunt in Namibia. As good as I have seen.
Gene

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../101108243#101108243
this is a report on the place. PM Robert if intrested, i am sure he has contact info.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Welcome to AR. Joof has been around for quite some time, and has a very good reputation. Some time back, Swarovski did a video of Craig Boddington hunting with Joof on his Namibian ranch.

I hunted with Vaughan Fulton this past May, and had a fantastic trip. http://www.fultonclassicsafaris.com

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You are a lucky young man indeed to have parents who will take you on safari.

As Mike says, Joof Lamprecht has a great reputation and has certainly been a fixture in Namibia for over 20 years. Not quite the "name" or experience that Jan Oelofse has, but who else does?

Joof is one of the best, by all accounts.

And I don't mean to talk you out of hunting with him, but I do wonder if you've considered a real, unfenced, wilderness safari. These can be had in Namibia. I prefer that kind of safari to ranch hunting any day, although I have hunted on a ranch and don't mean to suggest that it is "bad" by any means. As long as the ranch is "big enough," it can be a great experience.

It's just that hunting in the wild, open, unfenced areas is better, IMO. In Namibia, some PHs have secured the right to hunt on communal conservancies. These are wilderness areas, where old-fashioned, classic, tented safaris can be had.

As others have mentioned, Vaughan Fulton is a terrific PH (I too have hunted with him, and will do so again later this month). Vaughan hunts on nearly 900,000 acres of communal conservancy land in the north of Namibia to the west of Etosha National Park.

Vaughan also has another communal conservancy that he hunts in the Caprivi Strip, although that is primarily a dangerous game rather than a plains game area. That is where I'm going this year.

You and your parents may want to consider that kind of alternative for your safari. In any case, I know you will enjoy yourselves. Namibia is seriously underrated by many hunters (mostly those who haven't been there), but that is changing fast.

Good hunting and good shooting!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13533 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a better reputation than Jan Oelofse in Namibia? Anybody hunted with him?

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Does anyone have a better reputation than Jan Oelofse in Namibia? Anybody hunted with him?

I've hunted with Jan Oelofse twice, in fact, I hunted with him on my first safari in 1993. His hunts are all conducted on good sized, but fenced in properties. On my last hunt with him, on two occassions while hunting on his own farm, we were passed by groups of people on photo safaris, who passed us in wide eyed awe, when they saw people in the bush with rifles. I didn't care for that at all. I much preferred hunting with Vaughan Fulton. His private, native conservancy is huge, and unfenced. A true wilderness experience, but with the creature comforts. If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you some photos from my hunt with him.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner and I, along with our wives, hunted with Joof in April of '03. He ran a good show and while the property is fenced; at that time it was something on the order of 50,000 to 80,000 acres. We saw the fences every third day or so and they didn't seem to change the hunt much one way or the other.

With a little luck and good shooting you should be able to take the animals you mentioned in 14 days. We were in the field about 9 days and I took 8 animals and my hunting partner took 12.

The amount of game was really something. I bet we saw at least 400 animals per day.

Before the safari Joof told us he didn't usually want clients shooting over 150 yards, but like most of Namibia it's pretty open country. Our average shot was around 200 yards.

Feel free to email khamann@boaring.com with any questions about Joof's operation. While not having the same experience as his dad, Joof Jr. would be fun to hunt with as well.

Here are some pictures of animals I took:

And a black mamba Joof stepped OVER by accident!

All the best,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Very nice Red Hartebeest and Black Wildebeest!

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Try Gras Ranch.

Here is the Safari agent.

Was there in May of this year. Fantastic trip. I believe they would be able to help you with everything on your list. Most importantyly, they are fantastic people. I highly recommend them. They hunt on over 90,000 acres.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2592 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention Hunters Namibia had lots of eland. We saw mostly Cape eland but they have some Livingston eland as well.

On one evening hunt I lost count at 120 in one herd moving through the trees ahead of us.

We had shot eland the year before so we chose not to on this trip. I also justified not taking warthog, impala and blue wildebeest for the same reason, but they were there in huntable numbers.

There were giraffe and ostrich as well but I stuck to shooting them with the camera.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just booked a trip with Joof for a 10 day safari. I did a bunch of research and spoke with many hunters that had hunted with Joof and in other areas of Namibia. One of the things I was concerned about was the fencing done in the area, however after extensive discussions with Joof and with former hunters, I found that there are 3 "low" fences (same as our cattle fences) and 1 "high" fence that Joof has along a major road to eliminate poaching. As far as being fenced, this place appears to be essentially free of them from what I can gather. I was told by Joof and the previous hunters that the reason for the fencing that exists is to prevent the domestic stock from the other ranches in the area from moving in. These low fences have no impact on the movement of wild game should they really want to move past them. In my conversations with Joof I quickly found out about his impressions of domestic stock on a hunting ranch.
Everything is wild and free to move on and off the land at any time. The reason the ranch is so good is that Joof has placed several water holes in good locations. And he does not hunt the water holes. You'll be the only one on the ranch, only one group at a time. I'm sure your in for a great time!

Posts: 71 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I contacted Joof last week and have decided NOT to go with him. He has just raised his prices too much. Oh well. I'm thinking about South Africa again now.