New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selous 2023 hunt report
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Well I'm back home and had a great trip although it was exhausting. You go from sunup to sundown, 40+ degree days, nights did get into the high teens. We had lions roaring in the riverbed outside of camp and even walking around the skinning shed. Elephants about 15-20 meters away from my tent at midnight, Jackles barking all night (So it seemed) and bushbabies screaming in the trees Big Grin. I did have a few days in camp when Chris hunted. It seemed he did better when I wasn't in the truck...Hmmm... Confused

My PH was Thabit Ally
Trackers: Thomas and Imani
Driver: Mbasha
Game Scout: Davidson
Photographer: Ryan James. A young Zimbabwean apprentice PH and bloody nice fella.

Hunting partner: Chris Stagg

Rifle was a Ruger M77 in 375 H&H ammo was a mix of solids, federal's and an old silver tip and what we called Somali Specials!

Hunting area: Madaba 1, 1700 square KM. Contains the newly built hydro dam Lake Julius Nyerere. When full it'll be 130km long and 60km wide. Full of fish, hippo and crocs!

Animals seen:
Elephant
Hippo
Buffalo
Eland
Kudu
Sable
Kongoni (Hartebeest)
Wildebeest
Zebra (F&$#en zebra)
Warthog
Bushpig
Impala
Reedbuck
Duiker
Rabbits.....yes little bunnies!
Mongooses (Mongeese?)
Squirrel
Elephant Shrew
Guinea fowl
Francolin
Quail
Wild dogs
Leopard x 3 (One in a tree with a kill about 20 meters away)
Lion
Genet

Animals taken:
Duiker
Wildebeest
Warthog
Buffalo x 2
Impala
Kongoni
Reed buck
Zebra (F&^#en Zebra)

Duiker was the first animal shot and I fucked it! I flinched badly. Shot it low in front of the last rib and popped its gut out. It still ran into long grass and we had a tricky time tracking it down. Blood trail petered out and I managed to find a bit of intestine which got us back on and the trackers found it a short distance away. I was glad we found it but I disappointed with myself.

I won't go into the whole trip so I'll mention some of the more memorable hunts.

Wildebeest was a toughie. We spotted them across a burnt plane, no grass, few trees and HOT. We started off crouching, then monkey walking, then crawling, then the African bum scoot. We were in a game trail about 100mm deep so that lowered our profile. I was developing what would be a cold with a shitty cough and was struggling a bit. The Wildebeest took three shots to drop (They are tough) and I was happy with my first big critter. I don't have a lot of room for mounts so this was destined to be a flat skin and skull mount. They have a stunning skin!

With a Wildebeest in the truck, Thabit spotted a group of about 5 Dugga boys and hour or so before sunset. We started stalking them but they kept moving away (they were onto us). After about 1.5km of winding tracking and bumping them twice, I was on the verge of telling Thabit that I was cooked and if we bumped them again, I'll call it (Cold was kicking in). Thomas had his head down following the tracks, Thabit was scanning the front and I happened to look left....and spotted two old buff grazing under a tree about 40-50 meters away. A quick Psst to Thabit and plans were changed Wink. A quick stalk and boom! Thabit wanted me to shoot his mate but I couldn't get a clear shot and it moved away. Luckily as we had no room in the truck for two buff and a Wildebeest Big Grin. The buff was a skinny old man with no front teeth and a broken horn. I couldn't be happier. I had plans of just skull mounts and flat skins but the sun was setting and we were running out of time to skin the buff out, so I opted for a shoulder mount....just have to tell the wife now Red Facehwell: . As it was gutting and cutting it in half in the dark was drawing in the hyena!

I didn't manage a Kongoni the first trip and that was a priority. We stalked a few groups before connecting after a brief tracking job by Thomas.

Second buff was a cracker. Two Dugga boys were spotted as they crossed a creek. They joined another two and Thomas and Imani took up the tracks. 2 hours and 40 minutes and right on 4 km, we were in a position for a shot. First shot double lunged him and the second dropped him. To be honest I did have my doubts about if we were still on the tracks but the lads came through and I never doubted them again. (Side note...Chris shot a HUGE old Dugga boy that Thomas tracked from a water hole in a creek right to its bedding spot. We never saw the buff until we found it bedded under a tree. The buff didn't even get up. Perfect tracking!)

[img width=400 height=600]https://i.imgur.com/iNpyZ0il.jpg[/img]

F%$#en Zebra!
These bastards are SO switched on. Eyesight is superb, hearing is outstanding, sense of smell is out of this world and they know every rock/tree/blade of grass in their environment. I failed to get one of these last trip as well so it was a priority of mine. 9 days we tried to get close to these bastards, but they were onto us. One mob we stalked didn't know we were there until they spotted an out of place head peeking above the grass.....boom they were off like a shot! On day 9 of my 10 day hunt I was scanning the horizon and I spotted white! I Pssted to Thabit and we stopped the truck. Zebra! and they didn't know we were there. We bailed out of the truck and to our left were impala. Thabit said "We have to be careful of the impala". He didn't mention the kongoni that were unseen behind them and who started to snort! Luckly the zebra ignored them and we stalked closer. Picking out a stallion in a herd is a tough job and Thabit looked the herd over carefully. He picked out the stallion and had me on target but it moved behind some bush....and stayed there! We thought we were busted as some zebra were looking right at us but just then a foal chased a warthog behind the adults and that drew their attention away. As the stallion moved away from the bush...another zebra moved in front if him :grrrr: My right leg was shaking and my breathing was rapid and shallow...just then I head Thabit's breathing...it was like mine :rofl:. I would like to say the shot was perfect but I pulled it in my excitement and hit him low in the ribs. The pressure popped part of its gut out and it took another to put him down. As we moved forward, we positioned ourselves at its back to put a finisher into it...and bugger me if it didn't get up! I threw the gun up and was looking right into the sun!...F*&%... Boom and that shot creased his neck, the next boom went into his rump and dropped him but blew a large chunk of flesh up...ah well the taxidermist can fix that Big Grin. I had my Zebra after 10 years and 9 days....The whole team were excited and happy the zebra chase was over. They have never worked so hard to get a bloody Pundamilia!

Other memorial moments of the trip was Saeed chasing bush pigs and getting charged by a lion!. That didn't end well for the lion ;D All this was captured on video. We saw this lion the day before from the truck and it acted aggressively to us and we were about 70 meters away.

Saeed and young Ryan both captured drone footage of wild dogs killing a Kongoni and Water buck respectively on the same day.

Lunch in the bush

Hippo pool

Cave Hippo...there was a croc in there as well

I had a great time with Saeed and the crew. It was good to catch up with the Vincents again and Gary the photographer and to meet Maktom (Saeed cousin) Chris and Ryan and Pete the other PH and of course my hunting crew.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Some nice trophies, well done.

Thank you for sharing with us.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic trip Tony. Thankyou for the report. Very well done on your Zebra, at last. That's a damn nice Warthog you have there. I missed out on a Warthog on my recent Zim hunt despite a big effort. I'm envious ....
Did Saeed happen to mention putting all the hunt footage into a movie this year ? I am missing the copies he used to produce for AR members.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2020 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful hunt. Isn’t that ‘cave hippo’ the damndest thing you’ve ever seen? You’re standing 15 feet away from that cow & calf and safe to do so due to the slick rock they can’t climb. We did not see a croc when we were there in August, so I wonder if it moved in between our hunts?

Madaba is a special place with a bright future! Glad you got to enjoy it.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Looks like you all had a great time, thanks for sharing.

One question, can you tell us about the rifle that Thabit is carrying?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ah yep. Its a Mauser in 458 win I believe. He runs a ghost ring peep on it as well.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Congratulations on a wonderful hunt. Isn’t that ‘cave hippo’ the damndest thing you’ve ever seen? You’re standing 15 feet away from that cow & calf and safe to do so due to the slick rock they can’t climb. We did not see a croc when we were there in August, so I wonder if it moved in between our hunts?

We spotted a bull coming out of a small rock hole close by as well, a LONG way from the rivers and creeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
quote:

We spotted a bull coming out of a small rock hole close by as well, a LONG way from the rivers and creeks.

Did you see many elephants?

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report! Some very nice trophies taken. Congratulations!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bull is OLD, that's what dreams are made from. Hope to make it to the Selous one day. Nice report, thanks.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:
quote:

Me personally just glimpses. The other crews did and Saeed and the other camera guys got drone footage of some. Heard the buggers out in front of my tent in the river bed one night though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an awesome trip. Well done!

Posts: 4250 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Me personally just glimpses. The other crews did and Saeed and the other camera guys got drone footage of some. Heard the buggers out in front of my tent in the river bed one night though.

Just so you all know.

Maktoum or me is usually the first one in the mess tent before 5.

When elephants and lions visit our camp the other international clients don’t show up until day light! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done and great report. The Selous can be a tough but rewarding destination. Looks like you made the most of it!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just so you all know.

When elephants and lions visit our camp the other international clients don’t show up until day light! clap

Yeah but your tent is the closest to the mess tent and you didn't mention Maktoum running to get there the morning after the lion visit. rotflmo

I kept thinking I was going to get pounced on from out of the river Wink Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! thanks for sharing!!!

Posts: 10163 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just so you all know.

Yeah but your tent is the closest to the mess tent and you didn't mention Maktoum running to get there the morning after the lion visit. rotflmo

I kept thinking I was going to get pounced on from out of the river Wink Big Grin

Bakes, I have it on good authority that between all the hot sauce Saeed enjoys and that concoction he slathers on to repel tsetse’s, no self respecting lion, or even hyena, wants to dine on his skinny carcass. Rumor is that he’d taste worse than a hyena feeding off croc bait! jumping

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just so you all know.

Bakes, I have it on good authority that between all the hot sauce Saeed enjoys and that concoction he slathers on to repel tsetse’s, no self respecting lion, or even hyena, wants to dine on his skinny carcass. Rumor is that he’d taste worse than a hyena feeding off croc bait! jumping

Do I detect jealousy here? clap

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Sounds like you all had a great time.

let the ribbing begin.

We all know that Saeed will get the last shot, Thinking he lay's awake at night just thinking what to come up with next.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Saeed,

let the ribbing begin.

We all know that Saeed will get the last shot, Thinking he lay's awake at night just thinking what to come up with next.

I am the most misunderstood individual on safari.

I might have played a practical joke every now and then.

Trouble is everyone is expecting something to happen whenever I am around??

Tony doesn't even trust me to make him a coffee! Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What went in the coffee the last time you made him one???

Posts: 295 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:
What went in the coffee the last time you made him one???

See what I mean?

I don’t know from Adam, and you already suspect me!! Confused

Tony brought some funny looking coffee pods - just like everything from that part of the world!

Nice tasting but a bit weak!

I just off to make him a real cup of coffee!

It gets worse.

I come to say good morning to him, he gives me a funny look and says “what are you up to?”

I would have loved to have had a swim with him in Lake Nyerer! clap

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Saeed,

let the ribbing begin.

Saeed has made me a cup of coffee at his place...but I was standing right next to him watching him like a hawk... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Saeed,

let the ribbing begin.

Saeed has made me a cup of coffee at his place...but I was standing right next to him watching him like a hawk... Big Grin

This just keeps getting better. I am sure that this will go 5 stars and there could be more if available.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tony is a perfect candidate for a mental class to study!

Imagine a person travelling half way across the world, to live in my house, share a flight to darkest Africa, enjoy hunting with one of the best crew and hunting companion, enjoying life in a camp situated perfectly so he could share it with wonderful animals like elephants visiting at night, lions serenading him every other night, walking behind his tent.

Hyenas, leopards and jackals never missed a night without paying us a visit.

And he still doesn't trust me to make him a cup of coffee!

Bloody hell, he even brought his very own coffee pods with him!

I brought some home made dried yogurt balls, and others made from the sap of a host of thorny trees.

It is a bit sour, and I love it.

He refused to eat any!

I suppose when one is brought up eating kangaroos nothing else is normal to him! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made my wife an early morning coffee. Picked up a spoon lying there. Looked clean enough to me. Gave it a stir. Didn't realise she had used it to spoon crushed garlic. Now she drinks green tea first thing!

Posts: 295 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:

He refused to eat any!

ITS A BIT SOUR! I did actually taste one...my arse didn't unclench for two hours! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done and thanks for posting. I really enjoyed my time hunting in the Selous.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tony is a perfect candidate for a mental class to study!

Imagine a person travelling half way across the world, to live in my house, share a flight to darkest Africa, enjoy hunting with one of the best crew and hunting companion, enjoying life in a camp situated perfectly so he could share it with wonderful animals like elephants visiting at night, lions serenading him every other night, walking behind his tent.

Hyenas, leopards and jackals never missed a night without paying us a visit.

And he still doesn't trust me to make him a cup of coffee!

Bloody hell, he even brought his very own coffee pods with him!

I brought some home made dried yogurt balls, and others made from the sap of a host of thorny trees.

He refused to eat any!

I suppose when one is brought up eating kangaroos nothing else is normal to him! clap

rotflmo

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, thanks.

Takes me back to the one safari I did in the Selous. Absolutely hope to see it again one day.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to reading this one.

Sounds like a great time for all. Too bad Walter wasn't still around to put some real life into the party.

Don't know about coffee, just never liked the nasty stuff.

Ranch I worked at as a teenaged hay crew member, and in the fall our elk hunting base.

Had a white bowl and square metal can side by side on the table. One with sugar, the other had table salt.

Take your choice if you like to gamble!
Those years I watched many a mistaken guess.
Figure this might give Saeed an idea.

Great report Tony, enjoyed every bit, fine animals too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and some very fine trophies. Congratulations!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote