Find
Notify
Tools

My Limpopo Bushbuck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Hunt for the Limpopo Bushbuck

June 25, 2004 6:45AM finally found me on the Limpopo River, Northern Province of the Republic of South Africa. My Professional Hunter, Graham Sales, Zulu trackers Temba & Zwheli, hunting partner Charlie Herf and myself were on the farm property of George Hodson & family, a place he named �Denstaat�. Nice number of Limpopo Bushbuck in the thick grass and undergrowth of the dry creek beds that seemed to be an endless maze on this 5,000 acre orange, potato, maize and melon farm. Many other types of wildlife are here, including various large poisonous snakes, large monitor lizards, crocodiles, baboons and the ever-present insect life. Also saw two elephant bulls feeding in the fields near the farm boundaries.

After a chat with the owner�s son, we mounted the land cruiser and made our way down various dirt roads and into the heavy undergrowth. A high barbed wire fence and a 8' electric fence were bordering the dry creek bank in an effort to keep out elephants. I was carrying a Marlin 1895GS Guide Gun in 45-70, with handloads of Hornady 350 grain jacketed round nose bullets over a generous, but well proven charge of Reloader 7. The short 18-1/2� barrel of the Guide Gun and the powerful 45-70 with the 350 grain round nose bullets looked to be the right tool for a close quarters hunt in such dense foliage. Yeah, I found a good use for my cowboy gun...

After about a 10 minute ride, the cruiser stopped about 100 feet back from bushbuck alley and we began my hunt, my long awaited hunt. I had done a ton of research on this animal and knew how territorial they are and how they enjoy the protection and shade of the dense brush. The PH had told me on our ride in that the shots would be quick and probably within 50 yards, alot like Eastern Whitetails I had hunted as a youngster in SW Pennsylvania. Graham's Jack Russell, Max, was along to help out with any tracking. His advice was short and to the point: �Make the first shot count.�.

Quietly, we moved into the 8-foot tall grass on the bank of a dry creek, which was about 12 feet across. After about a 10 minute walk, a dark brown shape bounded past us at high speed, came to an abrupt halt about 50 yards away and turned back to look us over. In the deep shadows, I could barely make out his form, but the prominent white neck band and spiral knife-shaped horns looked like daggers in the dim light. Glossy black eyes stared back at me as Graham glassed him: �Shoot, he�s perfect.�. In what seemed like an eternity, I took careful aim through the Leupold and centered the crosshairs on the point of the ram�s shoulder as he stood broadside. I started my trigger squeeze, the 45-70 roared and the bushbuck vanished like a magician!

Five sets of human eyes scanned the spot where he had stood, with no idea which direction he had escaped, wounded or not�

After threading ourselves through the tight barbed-wire fence and then carefully through the electric elephant barrier, we quickly made our way through the thick cover to the place where he had stood just a few seconds before. As we crept forward, I played the shot over and over in my head� The trackers were first, scanning ahead for sign, then my PH, myself with rifle at the ready, and my hunting partner for the day, Charlie, a lawyer from Phoenix, AZ, who was also on the prowl for a buck (no pun intended, tempting though). We stopped and checked with both trackers: there was no blood and no real sign as to the direction he had taken� Had I missed!? Doubt started to creep into my thoughts. Again I played the shot over in my mind and answered the PH�s questioning eyes that he was hit hard. Without a word to acknowledge my answer, the PH moved us on in what seemed like a best-guess direction. I could feel the uncertainty begin to fill my mind again: no blood, no sign of a stumble, nothing� If I did hit him, how could he have traveled that fast without one of us seeing him? Especially, the eagle-eyed Zulu trackers, Temba & Zwehli...

As if on cue, Temba found a single freshly broken round leaf on a kind of lily pad like ground cover. We all moved behind him and were rewarded with a his shout� Less than 100 feet from where my shot had hit home, there lay the magnificent creature stone dead! Both shoulders had been broken by the passing of the big 350 grain bullet that had entered on the right side, at the exact point of the shoulder, and had exited at the same point on the opposite side, on its way to wherever... Clean 45 caliber holes on both sides, no expansion, no blood and a very dead Limpopo Bushbuck with dagger horns.

I unloaded the Guide Gun, gave it to one of the trackers, and checked out my trophy. At 100 pounds, this was one of Africa�s "bad boy" antelope. He had died quickly, but still managed a good 100 feet on broken shoulders and pure adrenaline.

After a short chat with the PH and skinners, I decided on a full mount. No discernable scars, a great multi-colored coat and his ears weren't all torn up. PH had him at about 15". Was well worth the 8 month wait...

He's no record setter, but he's mine! To my right is PH Graham Sales. Quite cool that morning down by the river, about 40F with a healthy breeze...nasty wind chill, but for a moment I felt warm all over.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done RHS!

One of my primary targets the next time I'm on the dark continent is bushbuck - love the "get-in-there-with'em" tone to your account of a very nice animal. Sounds like it will make a beautiful full body mount.

Jeff

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Well done! Congrats on a wonderfull trophy and hunt.
On my first safari, I was bow hunting in an elevated hide over looking a water hole.
We had some kudu bulls barking off to our left when I saw movement to our right. A wonderfull bushbuck cautiously made his way to water.
When I pointed him out to my PH I thought he was comming unglued! I thing he thought I was crazy because I set down my bow and picked up my camera.
I did not want to take a bushbuck because I always felt a full body mount would be the only way to have one. I just did not have the room or floor space for a mount that size.
After several pics and minutes of video, I took a close look through my binocs.
My first glance was at the time he lifted his head from a drink and turned to look towards the Kudu. The orange glow of the setting sun shinned on him and I suddenly had a vision of a half body mount hanging on my wall.
I slowly picked up the bow, glanced at Jon my PH and gave him a wink!
After the 25 yard shot it was a short 50 yard track to my trophy.
I will be mounting this guy within the next two weeks. The form from Animal Artistry is on its way!
Got-a-love those bushbucks.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RHS,

The bushbuck in any variety is one of my favorite African animals. Congratulations on your very good luck.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bushbuck. They are always challenging to hunt. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RHS, Any mature bushbuck is a trophy in my book. I love hunting them in the thick stuff. I am glad you decided to do a full mount on him. It is one of the few animals I think needs it to show it off to full effect. BTW mine is supposed to arrive sometime today! The taxidermist and one of his employees are driving in from California with a load of mounts. I will post pics of the mount after he gets here. Ther is a pic of mine in the hunting section on this site. I am looking forward to comparing the mount with the earlier pics. It is always a learning experience to see what you would do differently. Good hunting and a great trophy. A lot of African veterans with several trips under their belts dont have a bushbuck. It is a special animal.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote