Tools

Leopard Hunt with Intrepid Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
LEOPARD HUNT-INTREPID SAFARIS
JULY 6-21, 2015
South Africa, Limpopo Province, Gravelotte Area
Outfitter/PH…Harry Fourie in conjunction with Phillip du Plessis of Intrepid Safaris (AR member).
Rifle….Model 76 330 Dakota, 250 gr Swift AFrame, Trijicon 1-6X green dot scope.

This hunt started eight years ago with a discussion between Harry and Phillip during one of my prior visits to Intrepid. A Leoprd hunt had always been on my must do thinking, but the timing and availability a permit never came together. Having read about the difficulty in outsmarting a Tom that has adapted to the South African people environment, I was skeptical until Harry and Phillip showed me the amount of tracks and natural kills in their concession areas.
Early this year the stars aligned and both Harry and an Intrepid concession owner won the lottery.
We set the hunt towards early July to capture much of a positive lunar cycle.
I did the Delta Atlanta-Jo’burg trip without event, along with a nice overnight at AfricaSky….BUT with Delta’s subsequent “social correctness” ban on trophy shipment, I have put them on my “no fly” list, for ALL air travel. This might but a mere token, but I see no reason to do business with any firm that responds to the la-la world of social media.
After a short flight next morning to the Gravelotte airstrip and a two hour ride to the main ranch house, things were underway.
Harry had started prebaiting during the preceding week, so it was no surprise staring at trailcam photos…two baits had been hit earlier with one showing a good size Tom, the second a smaller cat that appeared to be a female.
We headed out to quickly get a blind finished that had been roughed out in the morning, plus to get my rifle checked out. The scope needed a few clicks to zero out at 50 yds.
We decided to let the area rest that night after the blind work. Subsequently the trailcam revealed the cat had returned almost at dawn.
That morning we checked baits, tracks, and all the cameras. That revealed a total of three different cats had been traveling including the one we had on the trailcam. Harry and Phillip were elated with that much fresh track.
So at 3:30pm we were in blind starting the watch at our hot bait…and wait we did until 11:15…no cats.
That night a cold front moved in and it rained.
Well, as other leopard hunters know, a change like that usually destroys the best of plans.
It did….the next 6 days were blanks… no fresh tracks; no bait hits; not even other critters on the cameras. So the routine set in, check for tracks, check and change out baits ( we used both Impala and Zebra).
We squeezed in some other hunting well away from the previously active cat areas…pics at the end of the report.
Finally early on the eight day, Harry set the tone…this was a make or break day. The weather had settled back to normal, the cats should be looking for food, lets see if we could find new tracks.
We had freshened the bait on our original hot spot, and a fresh hit was evident. We quickly left the site and well removed from the area, we checked the trailcam. There he was at 6:30 that morning working the impala.
That great wave of enthusiasm struck as we planned for entry into the blind later that day.
At 3:30, well before dusk we were in the blind. At roughly last light, near 5:30, the cat came. Harry quickly determined it was a male, and as the cat settled in to feed, the crosshairs found the right shoulder and the shot was made. I lost sight of the cat during the recoil, but Harry was already celebrating since he saw the cat simply slump and roll over at the shot.
The party got well underway as our trackers and the truck rolled up.

A really great male leopard that weighed in at 155 lbs.
Back to the camp, lots of photos and measurements were taken to be collected by the SA Conservation folks the next morning.
As noted earlier this was a leopard hunt, but Phillip’s concessions hold some outstanding plainsgame opportunities…look at these little guys…
57” Kudu

56” Kudu

Beautifully marked Nyala bull

Great way to fill in those empty days when no cat tracks-no bait hits occurred.
I want to thank Harry and Phillip and the trackers for another memorable hunt….they are world class folks with several outstanding properties.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful trophies, Bob. Thanks for posting them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, congrats!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love those Kudu - congrats and thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on some nice trophies!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Great hunt - great trophies - Bravo Zulu!!!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Well done Bob. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1793 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations on a great hunt

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
Well done to the hunter and to phillip !!...........not too bad for a wannabe farm boy PH !! jumping

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Outstanding...Congratulations Bob.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful trophies. Thank you for sharing, Bob.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Beautiful cat , well done guys.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Screw the leopard -- look at those kudus!!

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Very nice cat, great kudu and nice nyala!

Congrats, love the leopard especially.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wonderful trophies you have there. Well done and thanks for the hunt report Bob!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Some great trophies you have collected, well done.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Wow. Fantastic stuff and well done on all your trophies.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uncle Bob

Great having you over! by now you are like family around here, Glad you had a good time got to say you got lucky on kudu bulls again 3 in 14 days all over 55 WOW not to mention another 30 inch waterbuck! looking forward to your next hunt my friend.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
Uncle Bob

Great having you over! by now you are like family around here, Glad you had a good time got to say you got lucky on kudu bulls again 3 in 14 days all over 55 WOW not to mention another 30 inch waterbuck! looking forward to your next hunt my friend.

Phillip those Kudu are very impressive indeed. Everything you could want on that 56 incher.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote