New
Find
Notify
Tools

lost trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just reading 450 / 400's thread on a lost trophy.
Are there specific African countries that are more likely to "loose your trophies" than others?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The only one I'm worried about is a 5 1/8" Steenbok, everything else I think I can replace.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I can't really answer your original question. On a regualar basis I guess the countries that have a lot of safari clients, also have a well developed relationship to trophy care, logistic and shipping. On the other hand this might lead to a greater risk of mixing up with other trophies. The only trophy I've ever lost was a warthog. I did receive one, but it was not mine.

But I think this kind of problems can statisticly happen anywhere in the world.

I would use time to investigate the outfitters routines, and make sure they mark your trophies well (you can bring your own tags and do this yourself) and deal with reputable taxidermists and shipping agents.

Then you can only cross your fingers. If one travels a lot, this will probably happen to most people..

It's not acceptible though! And there should be consecvenses for outfitters/agents if they're responsible. And in most cases they probably are.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I am not confident the "Lost" trophy shipment problems happen overseas. I had a box full of mounts that was to be shipped To africa from the states. USFW gave me some issues so I had to pick up the shipment from the storage facility and bring it back home to redo the paperwork. When I opened the wood box two mounts were missing. So in the 3 days it was at the shipping location someone had decided they wanted a deer and bobcat mount worse than my buddy in africa did. The box appeared sealed when I picked it up meaning who ever took the stuff was careful to not damage the box. I never realied the stuff was missing until I got home. The broker said things like this happen and took no ownership. I think some times we blame folks on the wrong side of the pond for missing items. If it was on the shipping list when it left Africa IMO there it most likley made the trip across the pond and was taken here in the states.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EZ

I think you'll find that trophy SNAFU's are more a symptom of the safari operator and who he deals with rather than the country. In my experience outfits doing their own dip/pack are far less likely to have other problems in the trophy shipping end of your safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12885 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My trophies were ALMOST LOST by Air France in Canada. I don't think it matters much.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote