Find
Notify
Tools

Samaria Safari's or Itaga-Motsumi
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
Has anyone hunted with these people? I talked with the PH at the Harrisburg show for about half an hour. Their property is located along the Limpopo river and in between two wildlife reserves (I don't remember what ones, and I can't remember the PH's name, Hynie family Sounds close?). I think he only had 7000 acres of private, but was surrounded buy 200,000 of unfenced wildlife reserves.

Did anyone eles talk with them? If so what did you think?

My wife and I are going on our "first" trip next summer, and this guy is one of the top two that we have narrowed the search down to, the other was Itaga-Motsumi safaris.

The trophy potential seem to be very good at Samaria, I have only talked to one of his clients, but he took 5 animals in 6 days 3 of which made SCI. Is that good, bad or just average?

Any info on either would be apreciated.

Thanks

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
I went to RSA last year with my family and 3 other families (9 shooters, 4 wives, 2 daughters). We chose Tollies African Safaris due to references and meeting Tollie on two occasions. The "keys" for us were being sure that we were truly hunting wild animals, not the Texas variety of high fenced hunting. We wanted to see as much of RSA as we could and have a lot of fun. None of us were consummed with "inches".

Tollie's family owns about 120,000 acres in the Eastern Cape. They hunt their land and two or three adjacent farms with over 40,000 more acres. We hunted a couple of areas about 1 to 1.5 hrs. drive from his place when we decided to hunt Vahl Reebok and Red Lechwe. The PH's were all ranchers sons from the area and very experienced. All were licensed and very professional. As a group we took 60 animals from Steinbok to Kudu and Nyala. We had a great trip and will go back in 2005. We toured Port Elizabeth, the Addo Elephant Park, Mountain Zebra Park, Grahamstown and other local sites. My wife and daughter (17 yrs old) were crying when we had to leave. They had more fun than my sons and I.

You may want to look into Tollies, his website is www.safari-in-africa.com

Another point, any deal that is cheaper than the rest or that appears too good to be true is likely a bad deal. YOu get what you pay for, just like in the US>

Good Luck.

Posts: 10215 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote