ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Cape Buffalo Hunt with Shumba Safaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo Hunt with Shumba Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Cape Buffalo Hunt with Shumba Safaris

This was a short notice hunt offered by Jan of Shumba Safaris and was aimed at raising funds for rhino anti-poaching units in the Balule Reserve. Balule is part of the APNR and is open to Kruger. Between the rest of APNR and all of Kruger, it is a huge piece of wild Africa. I have hunted in South Africa before in the Northwest Province and Free State, but the terrain here was different. At this time of the year, it was very green and the brush was pretty thick. I am not the experienced hunter as many of you here, but for me it was one of the most scenic places I have ever hunted. It has all of the Big 5 roaming wild. We ran into some huge herds of buffalo and also a lot of elephants. We did not see any lions, leopards or rhino, but ran into many fresh tracks of these as well as hippo and crocs.
My wife joined me on this hunt, although she spent a lot of her time in camp. Jan’s camp is set at the foothills of the Drakensburg Mountains just outside Hoedspruit and has all the modern amenities you can ask for (even wifi) without losing the rustic charm of an African Camp. I don’t really blame her for wanting to stay in camp rather than bounce around on the back of a cruiser. Food and service was also excellent.
I am not much for writing long hunt reports, so will let some pictures tell most of the story. Please excuse the quality of some of the photos. We are not professional photographers either.

Balule:

Skulls from poached rhinos lined up outside the warden’s office. Most have been hacked off with machetes and have portions of the skulls missing.

Wife outside the chalet.

Jan and Riaan (warden at Balule)

Rhino midden

We were looking for a Dugga Boy at least over 12 yrs of age. We were into buffalo by the hundreds and it was an awesome experience to be able to stalk these animals through the bush. We found our bull on day 2 of the hunt after a lot of busted stalks and looking over a lot of animals. He was at 25 yards at the shot and I took him with a 500NE double offhand. He didn’t go down right away and decided to charge us twice. It was extremely exciting to say the least and without going into a lot of details, it took 5 shots from the 500, all offhand, to take him for good, including an insurance shot and I was shaking with all the excitement at the end of it. It was all I had hoped for regarding a classic buffalo hunt (in my mind) with a double rifle.

I tried playing with Photoshop on this one. The color of the dirt is not that red.

The Team

I also took a buffalo cow. To find a suitable cow without calf, etc in the long grass was more difficult that I thought. It took us two days to find her. This time I used a scoped 9.3x62 and she fell where she was shot.

Eddie (Jan's friend) got creative while we waited for the truck.

We took a day to look around Hoedspruit and went to the Blyde River Canyon and the Cheetah Rehab Program.

We left Hoedspruit and spent a week in Cape Town. This was our first time there and we really enjoyed our time there. Beautiful landscape and lots to do. We drove down to Cape of Good Hope, did the wine route, hit the beaches to see some penguins, hiked Table Mountain and even went cage diving with great white sharks, which was an exciting adventure in itself. There pics are not strictly related to hunting, but figure some would enjoy. Moderators can delete if not allowed.

Many thanks to Jan, his family, Eddie, Riaan, Max, Calvin and everybody else involved with the hunt, for the great experience and wonderful memories.

Posts: 62 | Location: USA / Temporarily South Korea | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice old bull. Great Pictures. Congratulations.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent

Shark diving is pretty cool - I got to do it again

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great report & awesome pictures. Congratulations!

BTW what was the camera used to take those great pictures?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a great trip and hunt, with a trophy to be proud of. The money going to defend the Rhinos is awesome.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Nakihunter - we had a few cameras with us. Can't tell you which picture was taken with which camera, but they ranged from an iPhone to a Nikon DSLR.

Posts: 62 | Location: USA / Temporarily South Korea | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Excellent buffalo.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Awesome and congrats on a very fine buffalo and you did well to put down the charge.

What dreams are made of.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good job love the pics and fine shooting.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I see you have a preference for PH's named Jan D.
First Jan du Plessis for leopard and now Jan Dumon for buff. You have good tastes in PH's and even better luck. Well done!!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 I hunted the Balule a number of years ago, and with it being part of the Greater Kruger, we saw and hunted some fantastic animals! I also fell in love with the Blyde River Canyon and the Cheetah Rehabilitation Reserve. All of that makes for a wonderful safari! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Outstanding hunt and photos sir! And with a double at close range. Indeed a hunt of a lifetime! What kind of double do you have and it looks like you were shooting CEB bullets? Thanks again for a GREAT report. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great pics and an awesome buff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Outstanding hunt and photos sir! And with a double at close range. Indeed a hunt of a lifetime! What kind of double do you have and it looks like you were shooting CEB bullets? Thanks again for a GREAT report. jorge

Great pictures of your experience! Congratulations! That looks like the DR "that can't be named"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and photos!!!
Congratulations to you and your wife clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txlonghorn:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:

Great pictures of your experience! Congratulations! That looks like the DR "that can't be named"

That is pretty funny. It indeed is a Sabatti. I didn't bring my rifles with me this time and used Jan's. But I do have an identical one in 470. So far I have taken 2 of the Big 5 with Sabattis and they seem to be working great for me. My 470 prints very tight groups at 50 yards on sticks and have about 200 rnds through it without any issues.. I have a trijicon RMR mounted on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. If anyone spends time in Hoedspruit, I will definitely recommend taking the boat trip on the Blyde River Canyon. I only had a day to look around, and am sure there are more great places to see there. Very beautiful place.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
Very nice bul !! Well done Jan and aAR 79

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures and thank you for your contribution to defending the Rhino.South Africa has so much to offer those that want to do some sight seeing after a hunt.Thanx for posting.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AR79:
... it took 5 shots from the 500, all offhand, to take him for good ...

Should have used a 577NE! stir
Nice report and pics btw! Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
enjoyed the post...well done

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
AR 79 promised me he would do his long practised seal imitation when he went shark cage diving. shocker

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you & wife had a great time.

Thanks for sharing Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
AR 79 promised me he would do his long practised seal imitation when he went shark cage diving. shocker

Haha...that's right. Nothing like wearing a black wet suit, clapping and balancing a big red ball on my nose to attract some great whites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats - thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt AR79, I did the hunt before you and enjoyed it immensely. The pics don't work for me though unfortunately........

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote