Find
Notify
Tools

50 cal in the military
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted
I am fairly new to the forum, and don't know if this was discussed before, but after serving 24-plus years and retiring from the USAF and serving two tours in Afghanistan I still keep up with military matters, I was told by a couple of sources, several years ago a Canadian Special forces soldier shot an insurgent 1.25 miles away with a .50 cal McMilliam, is this possible? I have seen and test fired the Barrett, and know these things can reach out and touch something, but 1.25 miles?

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say if that particular story is true but 1.25 miles is 2200 yards, well within the capability of the 50 BMG in a good rifle.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The record is held by a Canadian, 2,657 yds, 1.51 miles, Mcmillan TAC 50, Afghanistan 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks craigster, so it is true...Nice! I will check the link.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
There are other sources to verify it but I
think it was the second shot. Interesting thing? The second bullet could have arrived before the sound of the first shot!

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once read an interview with the guy who took the shot, (sorry i cant remember the source) but htere he said it was the second shot and after correction the shot hit (almost) right where he intended it to. (i guess a .50 gives you plenty of room for that almost being as lethal).

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How stupid can you be? I still remember the public outcry when the Liberals in this country, and I don't mean the party, discovered that our soldiers were using .50 cal. rifles. Inhumane they screamed. The reply, from the government of the day, was we don't use them against human targets. They are anti-materiel weapons. Big Grin That record shot came back to haunt the soldier, that made it, as well. Digusting, some of the crap, you have to listen to.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
US Forces can legally use any weapon in the arsenal against the enemy, either personally or at materiel (armored vehicle, building used by them, etc). In other words, employing an F16 delivered 2000lb JDAM is just as useful , albeit somewhat more expensive, than a few rounds of 5.56...

If the use of the JDAM limits the risk to a GI, send more F16s so armed!

No Free linches for the Dogs of War!

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:
US Forces can legally use any weapon in the arsenal against the enemy, either personally or at materiel (armored vehicle, building used by them, etc). In other words, employing an F16 delivered 2000lb JDAM is just as useful , albeit somewhat more expensive, than a few rounds of 5.56...

If the use of the JDAM limits the risk to a GI, send more F16s so armed!

No Free linches for the Dogs of War!

Agreed!
WE're currently using MQ-9 Reapers and AGM-114 as anti-personnel weapons. 650 grains moving at 2950 FPS seems like underkill

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote