New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New Bushmaster BA-50 .50 BMG!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

This is my new Bushmaster BA-50 .50 BMG rifle. I just picked it up this past weekend, and thus far I'm really pleased with it. Now I have to select optics, and thus far I'm leaning toward one of the Super Sniper Models because of it's glass etched reticle, and because I haven't read a bad thing about them anywhere. Hopefully I'll have it dialed in in just a few weeks, then it's off to the range. Very Long Range! Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new rifle. I bought one back in June of last year when they first came out and STILL love it. I mounted a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 LR/T and haven't had any problems with it. You can check it out in the post I started a little farther down.

I've found out four things since buying mine.
It won't fit back in the case with the scope mounted.
You don't have to remove the bolt handle to put it back in the case either. Simply loosen the screw and rotate the bolt 180degrees.
I'm glad the case has wheels.
And last, it's addicting as hell!

The trigger pull leaves a little to be desired and no one makes an aftermarket, yet. I've talked to the people at Bushmaster and they said a lighter pull one is on their plate but it's not a priority. If more people voiced their opinion they might rush it a little though Wink

Since I've bought mine I've acquired about 1k rounds of brass and bullets. Reloading is the only way to go. Most of my stuff comes from Wideners.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one thing I'm looking for is a case to keep the rifle in, assembled with the scope mounted. Cabela's makes a couple of 62" cases for black powder rifles, but at only 4 1/2" thick I don't know if they'll accommodate the wide muzzle brake?? There is this soft case designed for the Armalite AR-50 which is similar in size, but again I don't know if it will fit properly. I hate to take a chance. Bill T.

http://www.50bmgstore.com/ar50case.htm

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cabela's makes a couple of 62" cases for black powder rifles, but at only 4 1/2" thick I don't know if they'll accommodate the wide muzzle brake?? There is this soft case designed for the Armalite AR-50 which is similar in size, but again I don't know if it will fit properly. I hate to take a chance.

You may have to have one custom-made. My rifle is fifty-five inches from muzzle to heel. I had one made that is 59 inches long, 16 inches wide and 6 inches deep. Had it made from aluminum. It was not cheap, but it is ironclad protection for my rifle. PM if you want details as to where I got it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what I plan to go with on my .50 BMG Gentleman. It's been ordered, and is on the way from Brownell's and Midway.

Smith Enterprises Rings. (Wire EDM Cut 4130 steel.)

Smith Enterprises Delrin Reducer Rings, (30 MM To 1")

Smith Enteprises Base, (Also wire cut 4130 steel).

Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X 40MM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Leupold Mk4 6.5x20x50mm, nightforce 5x22x56mm, or the Bushnell 3200. All will get the job done with ease.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here she is with everything mounted up, ready for the range. Also pictured is the 66" Ace Soft Case I purchased for it. I didn't want to have to break the gun down all the time to fit it into the Storm Case it came in. the smaller case is one I use for my 30" barreled Trap guns.

I also have a few pics of 50 rounds of .50 BMG ammo along with 50 rounds of .308 and .223 for a size comparison. The box is a MTM 12 Gauge shotshell box. I took the top tray out and use it for a loading block, and the bottom tray hold 50 rounds of .50 BMG perfectly. Bill T.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 50 cal. photographed on the "marriage bed." How entirely appropriate! Shows that you have your priorities straight!

She's gorgeous by the way.

The case I saw for the Barret was a coffin looking aluminum box with wheels on one end and a full-length rod, threaded through hasps and secured on one end with a padlock.

I just commented to my nephew on the phone. (His 39th B'day.) "Yeah, the 50 cal. is not the sort of thing you toss in the back of the Yaris."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can I by these, I like to use on my CZ550 with some 30 mm Talley rings, I got stick with. I looked in Brownells. Did I missed it?

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Smiler

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote