Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr .50 owners...
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering how many rounds you have through it and how is the aluminum muzzle break holding up?
I have read that another .50 manufacturer has had to replace a bunch of aluminum breaks with steel ones. I don't remember if it was a structural deal or an erosive one.
Your thoughts?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Maybe 50-75 rounds so far, No problems and no sign of erosion in the brake itself.

The Steyr brake has got a LOT of surface area.

Who was the manufacturer of the other brake?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bluegrass Armory

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
My Bluegrass Armory Viper's aluminum brake held up 220 rounds before they had to send me a steel one. Keep a close eye on that brake!
Other than that, the Viper's been a great rifle. I'm in the process of buying another. My 1rst Viper is black, this one is OD. It's a recent model, comes with a steel brake and a 30 moa rail. That brings me up to 3 complete 50s and I have this Mcmillian action. Life is good! BTW, check out that serial #. Wink

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goneballistic:
Wink

Sweeeeeeet. can't wait to see #4

Do you compete?

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you compete?

Haven't yet but I will be making at least 1 match this year, hopefully 2. We now have 2 1000yrd FCSA match locations on the east coast, Reade, PA and Quantico, VA. Quantico is about 900 miles from me, not that far off. Also, the range I currently shoot at, The Manatee Gun Club is looking to go out to 1000 yards, eventually. Currently the furthest we can shoot is 685 yards. They have the land, it's an issue of money and earth moving equipment.
I am holding off on building the Mcbros until I've been to a couple matches and get some exposure to the sport, garner a few more ideas. I've also got a ss K&P barrel, I still need to get the stock, trigger, and the brake. I'll probably have Randy at Action Gun Works build the rifle. I'll be going with a Vias Brake. I think the clamshell brakes are dog ugly and I am more sensitive to blast than to recoil. I'll also be going with a Manners stock and a Jewell trigger.
1rst time or 2 out, this year, I'll be shooting a Viper, in the Hunter's class, and with a sandbag shoe in place of the bipod, in the light gun class.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
HEY! ya thief! That action belongs to Junior Samples. you musta stole it!

that serial number again is "BR549" rotflmo

Collins

One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted Hide Post
Is the Steyr brake all arruminum?

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Except for the Allen head screws nothing is magnetic.

Collins

posted Hide Post
Goneballistic,
So what was the problem with the BGA brake?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what was the problem with the BGA brake?

Erosion at the inside edges (circumferences) of the pass thrus, chamber to chamber. Inward peening at the last inside edge at the exit of the brake, had to take a reamer to it to prevent contact with projectiles. Put in for the replacement when it started to thin out. No longer an issue for the BGA, as steel brakes are standard. Already have an early black Viper, just sent off a check for this one. Now comes with a 30 min rail.
My Viper review

Massad Ayoob