THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    Off yer pins and needles, Here's the Videos

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off yer pins and needles, Here's the Videos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I notice the annotation '25 yards' on the pictures and just had to wonder if that is enough distance from a hardened steel target for safety? Seems awfully close for that much energy being splattered!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
I notice the annotation '25 yards' on the pictures and just had to wonder if that is enough distance from a hardened steel target for safety? Seems awfully close for that much energy being splattered!

I saw the video of the guy's shoting 22 lr when one came back from 100 yards or so. On the .50, what wasn't turned into toxic dust went thru. I'm not sure what would be "safe" I've seen the pistol guys shoot at 10 yd's and get hit AND not get hit. If you know of any standards or "best practices" I'll listen and adapt. Other than that I never shoot at a true 0 degrees at close range. Let me know, I'm willing to learn.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great time, Eh!

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:

Before reading the post, I watched the video I heard the Bang! Ping! and thought target is close!
Exactly like shoothing a pepper popper or a start plate/stop plate with a handgun ammo travelling over 400 mps, my Pact timer sometimes records the detonaion and the impact Big Grin

As Collins says, no risk when it goes through. The risk is present when there is not enough power like the 022 video or shooting hardened steel plate at short distance using 5.56 mm.
M 193 ragments bounce back and SS 109/ M 855 goes through.

I have seen .45 ACP target loads bouncing back when hitting a bowling pin when my 10 mm Auto penetrated deeply.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While training on the range at McClellan, shooter next to me suddenly dropped to one knee. Turns out fragment of his 135 JHP had come back and struck his left thigh. Pulled it out, cleaned and dressed the wound, finished training. Didn't bother to tell anyone, too much paperwork ... More apprehensive of the 22LR than any other round

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Arriba
posted Hide Post
You convinced me, guys! I ordered one Steyr .50 Big Grin

But there are also unknown unknowns ;-)

Posts: 735 | Location: Old Europe's center | Registered: 06 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
How'd that go? Guys on Gunbroker were advertizing "This in one of 5 guns in the US!!!" I still got mine for at an OK price, under retail. I've got to think there are more here now, but I never believed the numbers hype. Considering your location that's probibly not an issue.

Collins

posted Hide Post
I finally got to see the HS50 close up at a local gun shop and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality. I expect that from Steyr and wasn't disappointed. The Europeans continue to put US manufacturers to shame in the quality department. What a beautifully machined rig. Who cares if it's a simple design, good for them. I do think that they are way overpriced though but thats what you get with the current exchange rates and the Steyr name.
Hey Collins, what do you have to take apart on this rifle to get a cleaning rod into it?
Tim

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
2 5mm socket head cap screws. The allen wrench comes with the gun. Very easy and the whole gun is built that way. 3 different sized allen wrenches came with the rifle, and I've only used one. I suspect the entire rifle can be "taken to bits" with these three allen wrenches

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can strip the gun right down with those 3 allen keys. Not much too it. Gun shoots great. I am in the process of load development in mine as I have a hard time getting BMG ammo here.

Craig

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bewildered

Where do you live? North Pole? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
bewildered

Where do you live? North Pole? Big Grin

He MUST!

http://www.cabelas.com

# .50 BMG 650-Gr. Ball,
# .50 BMG 643-Gr. Tracer,
# .50 BMG 826-Gr. Spotter Tracer,
# .50 BMG 633-Gr. Blue Tip Incendiary,
And, HSM AP rounds as well

It all goes boom

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hehehe... Not quite the North Pole but close... Canada boohoo

One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted Hide Post
Collins,
In my past experience, the military uses a safe distance of @ 400 meters when shooting the BMG at "hard targets" so that the returning projo/projo core is not an issue...
Admittedly, I myself have broken this rule before on some 1-1/8" dump truck bed material that I have but you ARE taking a chance shooting at "plate" at closer ranges with the .50...
I noticed you had this rifle in June? You had one of the first ones "in country" because I had THE first operable HS.50 "in country" back in Feb... At the time it was the ONLY one in country and was owned by Steyr... I was doing some work for them at the time...
The HS I had shot slightly under MOA with AAA loaded AMAX projos.. In my work for them I fired it out to 2000 meters and the projos went sub-sonic at @ 1830 meters... I wish I would have had the chance to work up a load with that gun to see what she would really do... I am expecting my own HS.50 any time now..
How well have you gotten your HS to shoot? Do you load your own? Are you shooting it this weekend at the Reade PA match? I was supposed to be shooting that match but I had a rifle blow up on the bench next to me a week and a half back and I missed my opportunity to properly prepare for the match... Oh well, there's always next spring... I'll have my HS by then too (I hope)...

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote