New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serbu's BFG-50, opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One day, when I get a job, I will buy a 50BmG just to have as a range toy and maybe to deer hunt (Not likely but it is possible Wink ).

The single shot BFG-50 looks like a nice affordable minimalist rifle design.

If anyone has or has shot one, what do you think about it's quality, design, and accuracy?
Of the models on the market, would you suggest a different gun at the same price?
How well does their muzzle brake work compared to other brakes?

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
My first .50 was a Maddi Griffin.I bought it because it was affordable.Its the only gun that I was glad to get rid of and never missed.If you really want a .50 save your money and buy something thats above affordable.If you think about the amount of powder in a .50 bmg case,then think about the action failing you wont go the cheap route.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
I've shot several of Mark's rifles, including the carbine, which he let me try out when it first came out. I found them to be of sound design. The carbine is real handy. The BFG-50 is capable of Sub MOA at 1000 yards. Suitable for Hunter's class.
Aestheticaly for me, the BFG leaves something to be desired. But, having got past that, I do not own one because they are not offered in a LH action.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by baboon:
My first .50 was a Maddi Griffin.I bought it because it was affordable.Its the only gun that I was glad to get rid of and never missed.If you really want a .50 save your money and buy something thats above affordable.If you think about the amount of powder in a .50 bmg case,then think about the action failing you wont go the cheap route.

What do you look for in an action? Could you point to specific parts that you don't like on the Maddi Griffin or the BFG-50?

quote:
I've shot several of Mark's rifles, including the carbine, which he let me try out when it first came out. I found them to be of sound design. The carbine is real handy.

What was the recoil like on the carbine model?

I like the aesthetics of the BFG-50, it's as stripped down as it gets.

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
What was the recoil like on the carbine model?

Not bad. Serbu's shark brake is one of the highest rated for recoil suppression.

quote:
I like the aesthetics of the BFG-50, it's as stripped down as it gets.

Great. I say, go for it!

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fumbler:
What do you look for in an action? Could you point to specific parts that you don't like on the Maddi Griffin or the BFG-50?

I currently have a McBros benchrest rifle its a big solid action.The Maddi griffin uses a shell holder action.To me the whole gun was just crude junk.Basically its a barrel with a pistol grip and trigger held to the barrel with pins.The butt pad mounted on the shell holder was crap.The Serbu is probly a better built gun.Bottom line is you get what you pay for.
http://www.mcbrosrifles.com/

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to fire the 50BFG, recoil was STOUT! but hey it's a 50!

don't think I would fire more than say 20 in a sitting though.

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote