THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    LAR Grizzly Big Boar (Your Thoughts)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAR Grizzly Big Boar (Your Thoughts)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm seriously considering buying one. Your thoughts or experience's, good or bad please. Thanks for your time.

Regards Mike

Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
IMHO, these days you can get as much rifle for less money, or more rifle for just a few hundred more. The LAR is a Bullpup shell holder action. Which means the chamber is right by your head. There have been multiple reports of sticking cases due to rough chambers and bolt handles breaking off while trying to extract said cases. Also, the LAR is known as a hard kicker.

For a shell holder action, I would suggest a ERG State Arms. You can get your foot in the door for $1800.00, see the Shorty.

For a few hundred more than the LAR you can get a true bolt action 50, either the AR-50 or the Viper. I see AR-50's from time to time for around $2500 and even though the Viper lists for $2895.00, I hear that they have been going for less than $2500, maybe the sale is over, but it's worth checking into.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought an LAR back in 1999. It was an early model, so it was hard to open the bolt.
After breaking the bolt handle three times, I heard LAR was offering a free bolt modification. I sent it in and they machined a grove in the bolt, angled the back of the bolt faces. This resulted in a much easier to open bolt, even with hot loads. The muzzle brake is the smallest one I have ever seen on a 50 BMG. I have shot the serbu, barrett, ar50 and the sr25, they all kick less. I can only get at best ten inch groups at 550 yards with amax handloads. Maybe it is me, maybe the gun. Do not worry about the gun being a bullpup, it is strong. Never heard of a BMG case rupture burning anyone. If you are just shooting at the range, I can recommend the ar50, good gun.

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote