Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr sales to Iran
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted
I just read that Steyr had sold 700 of its .50 BMG rifles to Iran.They said that they wouldnt sell to Iran if they could sell to US market but were denied, so they went ahead with the sale to Iran.Anyone heard of this?

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We should Nuke Austria for this gunsmile

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if this is the same story,because the rifle calibre was not mentioned in the newspaper article, but Steyr got into some hot water from the US over selling their own manufacture sniper rifles to Iran.

I believe night 'scopes and binoculars etc were also mentioned in the article, but they originated from another source.

The article explained, the sale was ratified through normal export licence procedures and there was no secret, sneaky squirrel business involved.

So, what was the Yanks beef? Lost sales? Bear in mind, in Europe, nearly all arms manufacturers are quasi state connected companies. There are no companies to my knowledge similar to the US's Barret company.

The rifles are destined for an elite police unit working in the counter drug smugling field. Iranian DEA?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, what was the Yanks beef? Lost sales?

My only beef is if it screws up Steyr sales for the U.S. consumer.Not that I own one of their .50 rifles or would buy one(own a McBros benchrest).I do own a SSG P-II an a AUG.I was more interested in the future what they could produce that I would want.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
We should Nuke Austria for this gunsmile

Nuke Warshington instead. Frowner

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote