New
Find
Notify
Tools

Record Book Buck!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Boy I Wish!!! Just kidding, I didn't even get a shot on my Deer Hunt. I did see a couple of really nice bucks, but just couldn't get a shot!
My buddy got a nice little Forked Horn and that's it! The .308 Bellm still has no blood on it! I had a wonderful trip though and the camp was vantastic! From camp we could see Maiden Peak, Mt Bachelor and Middle and South Sister's!! After the first few days it got cold and we had weather in the teens. When it snowed in the higher elevations the Mt's were beautiful!!

I'm going to try and get the .358 Bellm up and running for elk season, but it's going to be close, not much time left. I may use the .308 Bellm...... We'll see!

Don Shearer mentioned in another post that he stopped by for a visit. Man what a visit! Just too darn short! Don is a great guy and a wealth of info!! He brought some pics of his wood work and his Contender's. I'm sure someday we'll get to hunt together, he even mentioned something about shooting PD's in Medicine Bow, WY. Now that is one trip I wouldn't want to miss!!!!
Nice meeting you Don! I'll see you again sometime!!

Bob

Posts: 162 | Location: Yachats, Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Bob, I got one of those record book bucks just like yours on the first half of my hunt in Wyoming. Actually it was so warm (in the 70's and 80's days and only down to the 40's at night) that no deer were moving at all. I did see a spike and a small three pointer, then the procession of does. It is also so dry with no rain for at least 60 days and walking was like walking on corn flakes. Had to sit it out and hope one decided to wander by. No such luck though.

I did get a coyote one day as I was quitting for the middle of the day. I was walking back to the cabin when I saw a coyote in an open field. I lined up with the 308 Bellm supported by the "steady stick" I showed you a picture of and canned him at 243 yds (paced off). I was using a Hornady 150 grain SST bullet and it was awsome! That bullet went in just behing his right shoulder and came out at about the last rib on the left side. It literally eviscerated him - there wasn't enough left to skin out. All I would have gotten would have been his lips, ears and tail (well almost).

But, I had some club business that needed attention so I came back for a week. I plan to go back for another 5 days starting Saturday. Hope it cools off a little so those critters can start moving around.

Again, I really enjoyed the visit in Sept. Hope we can do it again here in Colorado or, in Medicine Bow.

Don Shearer

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote