New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 154 gr Hornady in 7mm TCU
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting pistol silhouette competition for more than 10 years now and the 154 Hornady is a very popular bullet for the 7TCU in that sport.

I tried the 139 grain Hornady's and they worked just fine. But, it seemed everyone I shot with was using the 154's. I switched and never looked back.

I have settled on two loads for my 10 inch TC barrel.

For Production class shot in freestyle (lying down), I use 26 grains of H 4895 over a CCI 400 and the 154 Hornady. This gives about 1750 fps in my gun and is perfectly reliable for knocking the rams down at 200 meters.

For use in the Standing competition I went with a milder load for a little less recoil. For this I shoot the same 154 Hornady over 19 grains of H 4198 and the same CCI 400 primer. This load gives about 1550 fps and has so far knocked down every target I have hit.

Recently I was at a big match and some people were hitting the ram targets but not knocking them down. My standing load did not slam them to the ground but they went down.
In IHMSA or NRA silhouette competition you not only have to hit the target but you must knock it off the stand. (The rams shot at 200 meters with a pistol or 500 meters with a rifle weigh about 55 pounds.)

The 7TCU is a fine little round, I have over 6000 rounds down the tube on mine and it is still shooting well. A look down the barrel shows the rifling is still pretty darned good.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote