Find
Notify
Tools

41 Caliber cartridge for contender
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted
I am interested in rechambering a 41 MAG 14 inch contender barrel to something a little more powerful. What options do I have? dancing

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2546 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The .416 JDJ packs quite a wallop -- at both ends, I might add. It is based off the .444 case necked down.

Check out www.sskindustries.com

And welcome aboard!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
See wildcats section. In the Contender, the .411JDJ would likely be the most powerful. This is also a necked down .444Marlin case. The .414SM is simply a lengthened .41Magnum case. Reeder's .41GNR is the .44magnum case necked down and the .41GNR#2 is the .445SM necked down.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
JOE

In my post, I originally listed the cartridge as the 411 JDJ as that is what I am familiar with. Then I looked at the SSK site to make sure I ahd the right addy, and I checked the caliber listing. For whatever reason, the 411 JDJ is now called the 416 JDJ. It appears to be the exact same cartridge, and the 411 JDJ is not listed anywhere else on the site.

I do not know if that's a typo on the site or JD got bored and changed the name, but I have always known it as the 411JDJ -- just as you had listed.

Nonetheless, I edited my post to show 416 instead.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
JOE

In my post, I originally listed the cartridge as the 411 JDJ as that is what I am familiar with. Then I looked at the SSK site to make sure I ahd the right addy, and I checked the caliber listing. For whatever reason, the 411 JDJ is now called the 416 JDJ. It appears to be the exact same cartridge, and the 411 JDJ is not listed anywhere else on the site.

I do not know if that's a typo on the site or JD got bored and changed the name, but I have always known it as the 411JDJ -- just as you had listed.

J.D. probably just neglected it. I've got a .411JDJ and it does great on all big game. He's got some other .41 caliber stuff but it's not safe in the Contender/G2. How about a .350Remington Magnum necked up to .41. It's called the .41Whammy.

P

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think he also has the reamer for a cartridge that two locals dreamed up called the .41 TNT. It is a .45 Colt necked down to .41. They reported 1700fps with a 270gr LBT-design cast slug.

Picture of McKee Boykin
posted Hide Post
SSK has both the .411JDJ & the .416JDJ!

Posts: 23 | Location: Edisto Island, SC | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Converting a .41 Mag to .411JDJ was a somewhat popular conversion for a while. Thought of doing it myself, but never did run across a .41 Mag barrel at the right price.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think he also has the reamer for a cartridge that two locals dreamed up called the .41 TNT. It is a .45 Colt necked down to .41. They reported 1700fps with a 270gr LBT-design cast slug.

Not poking fun at anyone, but my 654 FA, a standard 41 Mag, shoots the 411-275 NEI bullet at a chronographed 1800 fps. And the bullet drops from the mould at just about 290 grains. I haven't shot it in several years, but the load data is around here somewhere...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Has the 41 ever been done on a 308 case? I would imagine someone somewhere has.....?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
JOE

Bobby, the 41 magnum has a .410 bore diameter, and will not work as well with a .416 bullet . The 411 JDJ uses a .411 bullet dia, and that is tight in the .410 bore, but works. Also Hornady and Hawk make a .410 bullet for the 450/400NE 3" cartridge that will work best in the .410 bore.

I have a contender that started life as a 41 mag super 14. I had it rechambered for the 411JDJ (actually named 411/444, because of the copy wright of the JDJ name, by JDJ). It is exactly the same cartridge, however.

My barrel had a permently mounted muzzle brake to lengthen the barrel to 16 1/4" so it would be legal to use a carbine stock with that barrel. The Iron sights re-mounted, and it has a 2X Redfield scope in weaver mounts, as well. I also have a 10" 223 barrel with iron sights, and a scope just like the 411JDJ barrel!

I have never shot the 411 JDJ barrel, because I never had dies to load it, but when it was a 41 mag it was super accurate, and the 223 barrel is a real tack driver!

I simply lost interest in hunting with a pistol before this project on the 41 barrel was finished, and moved on to somthing else. I have no idea what this set-up is worth, but if someone wants a big pistol for hunting the big biters, make me an offer! The whole thing is in 98% as new condition! I can take pictures for anyone interested, by E-mail,but I can't post them here! coffee

I also have a shoulder holster, hard case, and a belt buckle, brass with a silver contender pistol the hasn't been availible since about the third year of the contender's birth on the market! My E-mail address is:
DUGABOY1@aol.com

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tred1956:
I am interested in rechambering a 41 MAG 14 inch contender barrel to something a little more powerful. What options do I have? dancing
At one time CorBon was using 265gr Hard Cast bullets from Cast Performance in 41mag ammo vel 1325 fps , Energy 1033 ft lbs very accurate in my Ruger 4 5/8" barreled BH.CP still makes that bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOE MACK:
How about a .350Remington Magnum necked up to .41. It's called the .41Whammy.

P

I was playing around the other day and necked a 450 Marlin down to .41. I figured that someone must have done the same thing with with the .350 Rem Mag though, and there it is.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote