New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm tcu-benchmark
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone tryed hodgdon benchmark powder in the 6mm tcu. If so would you share any starting loads.

Posts: 41 | Location: shawnee, ks. usa | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
With the 65 grain Berger, a Rem 7 1/2 and Lapua brass, I am loading 28 grain of BenchMark, getting just over 3000 fps from a 21" barrel and accuracy that's little more than a ragged hole for 5 shots at 100 yards. The pressures are on the mild side. If you start at 25 grains with 65-70 grains bullets, you should be just fine.

For 80 grain bullets, start at 24 grains of BenchMark and work up a half-grain at a time. Be sure and use Rem 7 1/2s as other primers may occasionally pierce long before top-end loads are reached.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, is the Lapua 223 brass worth it? I have heard good, bad and other on their 223 brass.
I do wish Hodgdon would work on some of the more popular wildcat data with some of their new powders.
Jeff

drichi welcome, good bunch of guys here. A lot of good info too. Where are you at in Shawnee? I live just South of Lansing. We need all the Kansas folks we can get here, the "Yankees" are about to over run us, they know who they are [Razz] .
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Lapua brass is worth the extra cost. The consistency is amazing: the flash holes are drilled, not punched; primer pockets are uniform, and the case-to-case weight deviation is virtually nil. I have never culled a single Lapua case.

And especially in 6.5x55, I wouldn't use anything else. In fact, the Remchester 6.5x55 brass that I used in the past had a cull rate of at least 18-20 percent, and the case head size on these isn't even correct.

If you shop around, you can find Lapua brass at a very decent price.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jsh, Are you a member of millcreek rifle club. I spend more than my fair share of time there according to my wife. I also saw some interesting data on RL10 powder in the 6mm tcu on handgunhunt.com. Dan B. had a post on there about some testing he had done with this powder. thanks for the info Bobby.

Posts: 41 | Location: shawnee, ks. usa | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
found a great fireform load the other day. 21.5gr of IMR4198 with 70gr sierra blitzking,cci br-4 primer, and rem. brass. shot super in my barrel. [Smile]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drichi, no I belong to Tri-Cty R&G. I have been to Millcreek a couple of times, both observing the cowboy stuff. I have been out to Powdercreek or 7&10 as some of the older crowd knows it as.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
We need all the Kansas folks we can get here, the "Yankees" are about to over run us, they know who they are [Razz] .
Jeff

and dont you ferget it!! [Razz] [Razz] [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote