New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Bellm
 Login/Join

<supermagforever>
posted
Hey Mike, you never did tell us how your recent trip to UTAH went. Did you get a chance to shot any self erecting biodegradable targets with that .222mag imp. Hart barrel of yours?
Richard.

one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
I don't know about his Utah exploits with the 222Rem Mag improved, but ask him about bombing for moles in his vegetable garden [Wink]

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, had to cancel the Utah trip. Dee simply was not up to travelling. As it turned out, it was just as well since the area was socked in with smoke from forest fires and no place for her to be. Plus, she can't handle heat anymore.

Now we are back on "bear mode" and getting ready for trying to fool one into exposing himself for a shot. Two forum regulars are joining me the first week of August. Season starts Aug. 1 and runs through Dec. 31. Ie, there are lots of bears in SW Oregon. Most of the hunting will be within about 30-45 minutes of the house.

Moles? Rotten little devils were ripping the daylights out of my garden every day. Traps did not work. Poisons had not worked, and neither did the smoke bombs the local coop sold.
For awhile the early morning ritual was to make up my own smoke bombs laced with 231, powdered sulphur, and shreds of plastic in a piece of abs plastic pipe. Worked reasonably well. I had wondered about using emergency road flares, then heard about a fellow for hire that uses them.

The infestation is worse than any rat infestation I have ever seen, but now that I am using whole flares instead of just a half a stick like I started out doing, I just about have them at bay. They have such extensive tunnels that it takes a large volume of smoke to do any good.

Exhaust from and engine would probably do as well, but harder to get around with.

They may not be prairie dogs, but it satisfies the innate need to kill something that needs killing.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote