New
Find
Notify
Tools

358x444 Brake in
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a chance to do some shooting with the 20" Van Horn last night but I only took targets, a cleaning kit and the loaded ammo I had for my 14" barrel. I hate the brake in process but I will follow Daves procedure and i'll wright it below.
This was done at night under flood lights.
After sighting in at 25yds I moved the target stand to 50 and fired 5 shots with Hornady 180gr SSPs in front of 50grs of H 322...I was getting 2225fps in my 14" with this load.
It printed a nice little clover of about 3/4". But mind you I had to stop and run a wet then dry patch after each shot and that took about a half hour to complete. I was OK with the group and moved the stand out to 100.
I only had 2 more rounds of Hornadys so I used the Speer 180 FN that had the same powder charge and at 2300fps in the 14".
I fired 5 shots but had a flyer that opened the group to 1 1/2" but there were 4 holes in one of those little squares.
It was dark and the targets was hard to see even with all the floodlights, so I didn't feel bad about the flyer. And I was still cleaning after each shot.....I hate brake in.
Next I moved up to the Speer 220gr FN loaded with 47grs of RE7 at 2100fps in the 14" and I couldn't even keep 2 on the same 1" square for 3 shots. Then I noticed the forend was very loose and after I tighten the screw, the next 2 went into the same square, I only had 5 rounds of that load.
Still cleaning after each round fired....I hate brake in.
It was now 1:40AM and I was getting tired, so out came my hunting loads from last year.
1st. was the Sierra 200gr RN loaded with 55grs of AA2520 at 2325fps in my 14" and 3 shots went in one square....BTW These are sight in targets and the squares are 1" and I didn't zero the scope in after the 1st. sight in, for I was just looking for group size. I cleaned the barrel after each shot on them 3, but didn't on the next 5, and that is the Nosler 225gr BT.... that is my best load in the 14" and it was no different in the 20" barrel. It's charged with 54grs of AA2460, a WLR primer and a COL of 3.150. SD was only 10fps in my 14" and this printed less then 5/8" for 3 shots and under an 1" for all 5.
I had some 180gr Barnes loaded up but didn't try em. I was to tired and still had an hour drive to get home.
My guess is, with the extra 7 1/2" of barrel.....[my 14" barrel is a hunter and that means I only have 12 1/2" of barrel, for the other 1 1/2" is a muzzle brake chamber]....I could add another 150fps or so to the velocity of all these loads.

Recoil was stiff with the Noslers but not really that bad. I have some 250gr bullets but none loaded. I'll try them someday.
And yes i'm happy so far with this barrel from Van Horn. It seems to be an accurate and well made barrel.

I would also like to add, that this Simmons Whitetail Classic that I bought over 10 years ago has been on a 30:06 and a 308Bellm and now on the 358:444 without a problem at all and still holding zero. What more can you ask for?

This wasn't really a good test, but at least I know what this Van Horn barrel can do.
I'll get more time to work with it when the weather cools off a bit.

Below is Dave's Barrel brake in procedure>>
Calibers 17,22 & 25
Clean after every shot for the 1st 125 rounds with a clean cotton swab and then dry patched.
Calibers 6.5, 270 & 7mm
Follow the same steps for the 1st 100 rounds.
Calibers 30 and bigger.
Follow the same steps at least for the 1st 85 rounds.

I have to take a dip in the pool and try to wake up a bit [Big Grin]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules
Sure sounds like its gonna be a shooter. Keep us posted
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really didn't get into the barrel try out, but I had a chance to shoot it and I did. The night time shooting is not for me and I was tired.
I think that cleaning after each round to 85 is a little much, don't ya'll? Plus I found myself rushing to do it.
But I do have a neat little trick that I picked up from the devil.[LOL]
Anyway, instead of using a bore guide I took a sized case from the caliber i'm using...in this case it is the 358JDJ....and drilled out the primer pocket with a 1/4" bit and then used a deburring tool to smooth it up. Just insert it in the chamber and run your cleaning rod right through with a patch, brush, jag or whatever. I have one for every caliber I shoot and it works great. When your done you can clean the chamber with a bore mop.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well! I didn't hear of anybody ordering a Van Horn Barrel yet. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I don't remember seeing a 444 chambering for a Contender on his site and thats my next carbine barrel. I might have to get an unchambered barrel and send it to Mike to be chambered, but with him making his own barrels I may have a loooooooong wait. [Eek!]

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Jules
Congrats on the new barrel. It sounds like you won't have any problem with that barrel. I will be ordering one from Van Horn in the future. I have a project that I want to try out. I wil have to wait a little while though. Well Oct is not that Far off. [Smile]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
Jules,
I just got word that my Encore 18" (Katahdin) .444 Marlin barrel shipped and I should see it by the end of the week. I've had to order dies and a cheap Simmons scope (would rather do that than pull one off my other barrels). Hoping to get some test loads and hit the range on Saturday... You're idea of having Mike chamber it sounds like a winner though... Will probably wish I had done this myself - especially if those big 300 grn Hornady's won't reach the rifing. :-)

Take care,
steve

Posts: 329 | Location: North Pole, AK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll have any problem with the barrel Steve. From looking mine over, Dave does pay attention to detail. I don't have a bore scope....YET [Big Grin] ,but I think if Mike Bellm had a good look at one of these he would approve them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I don't think you'll have any problems with the barrel. Though I don't have a borescope..YET [Big Grin] From what I can see, Dave pays close attention to detail. I think if Mike Bellm would inspect one, he would approve.