Notify
Tools

30 Herrett
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted
Nuther question:

What is a 30 Herrett? What is the parent case (I assume its a wildcat). What kind of velocity with what weight bullets? Accuracy?

A guy I work with has one he wants to sell. He wound up with it on a trade and has never shot it. Are these "custom" barrels or does/has TC made them?

Thanks again guys...X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
30 Herrett is a shortened 30/30 Win. I had a T/C in this calibre for some years. 125gn projectile 2100fps.
The case is a very efficent one for shooting cast bullets in a rifle and I have a 94 which I am about to rebarrel to this cartridge.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
B.A. Wallace, the 30 Herrett (and later the 357 Herrett) was a combined effort by the famous stock/grip maker Steve Herrett and the famous gun writer Bob Milek, (both unfortunately deceased now) around the mid 70's. The Herrett is one of the most efficient calibers in a 10" barrel. I have personally taken numerous Deer (one nice buck at 225 yds)and Antelope with this. Easy to carry and super accurate (if you do your part). 5 shot groups at a 100 yds around 3/4" are not uncommon. It is still one of my favorite handguns for hunting.

Posts: 71 | Location: Worland, WY | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies BA Wallace and SS308. Say the 30-30 Winchester is the parent case? What is involved in forming the cases?

Thanks for the velocity info on the 125 grain bullets. What was the barrel length? How about 150's? How fast do are they traveling out of a pistol length barrel.

Thanks,
X

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
For a general History of the crtridge check this url http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w30herr.html
It gives real basics on the 30 herrett. I don't know if that's entirely accurate but a place to start.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Thanks RJ, that page answered a lot of my questions.

X

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Run the case through a fl size die, trim to 1.65" and you're good to go.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul H. Case forming sounds easy enough!
X

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
x-caliber,
If you pick up the barrel let me know. I have some new sized brass and some dies I would let go for a cheap price.
If you don't pick up the barrel, let me know how much he wants for it. I might be interested in it.

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know Old Fart...If he ever brings it to work with him [Roll Eyes]
X