New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would this be legal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a T/C Encore pistol with a 15" bbl, with the factory installed T/C muzzle brake. The over-all length is now 16 1/4"
Can I legally shoot this bbl with the rifle stock attached? It meets the 16" requirement for a rifle, but only if you include the additional length of the brake.
Does anyone have any info as to the way the law is worded, or more importantly, enforced? I spent over 40 minutes on the phone with ATF, and all I got was perpetual hold. (long distance call to D.C.)
Any informed help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no barrel legnth must be 16 inches

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My understanding of the regulation is that if the muzzle brake (or barrel extension) is permanently attached (welded on, not glued as it is now), then it is okay to use a buttstock.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You are from NY, right? I am from Region 9, western NY State. We can not use rifles to hunt big game and our pistols must be less than 16 inches. In NY your 16 1/4 inch barrel becomes a rifle, at least for hunting. I got my info from the DEC, a lot of guys had to cut their 16 1/4 inch factory TC barrels off. I realize the DEC is not the final word on handgun laws but they are on hunting laws. Before you use your 16 1/4 barrel as a pistol in NY, make sure of the law. Two years is a long time.

Posts: 14 | Location: WNY and SouthAL | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think you want to check with your County Pistol Permit Clerk, the DEC and the BATF. Please let us know what you find out.

Posts: 14 | Location: WNY and SouthAL | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Truth of the matter is you could probably shoot it the rest of your life that way, and unless you got hauled in for some reason they're never be a problem. (Though we don't condone breaking the lawSmiler

BUT.... I think as far as the fine line of the law goes, they're right, it needs to be welded. (You could have someone give it an ever so small spot weld, though it wouldn't be too pretty)

I too believe a HANDGUN in NY needs to be under 16" for hunting. (Now if you apply the same logic as before, IT'S NOT really over 16". A D.E.C. officer out in the woods might not buy that argument. Who knows.)

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I spoke to the people at T/C, and was advised as follows:
In order to be legal with a rifle buttstock, the brake has to be either welded or pinned in place. In other words, not removable.
According to NYSDEC, if the brake is removable, it does not count as to length of the barrel.
So, I will leave it as it is, and get a barrel to use as a rifle.
These stupid laws are a big P.I.T.A.
Thanks for all the help

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Simply install a hinge at the muzzle brake and a hasp for a padlock. When hunting,fold the muzzle brake up in position, lock the padlock and you are legal. [Big Grin]

All kidding aside, you are probably better off with a longer barrel anyway for a shoulder arm for better balance, sight radius, etc. IMO.

Regards from Putnam County

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like they already said, it is only legal if it is permanently attached. If it is a good fitting brake and there is not a visible seam between the brake and the barrel, I'd just use some permanent lock tight. It will be completely un-removable unless it is heated very hot. Otherwise, you are going to have to weld it.

Posts: 136 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 May 2002Reply With Quote