New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore in 7mm08 with15" bbl
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all I finally broke down and bought a Encore in 708 all stainless. Last weekend I took it to the range and was busting clays @ 100yds with open sites.. They only thing im not happy with is the smooth trigger. I need to have groves cut into it my hands are small and i feel like my finger may slip right off it when it gets cold out. But other then that im really happy with it!!
Over the week I bought a Bushnell 2-6 scope and was itchin to go to the range.. I loaded some Hornady 139gr SP's with 40gr of IMR 4064 and went to the range on saturday.. Well after getting the scope sighted in it was time to test it out.. Im averaging 2320 fps!!! and @ 100yds im getting 5 shot groups just a tad bigger then a dime!!! Moved target out to 200 to see what i can get out there and was really happy with the results.. I only shot 5 shots @ 200 and was really impressed when i went to look at the target.. I had a 3 shot group that a dime could cover but the other 2 were flyers not sure what happened with them i must of flinched lol.. But any gun that shots that good is a keeper.. Anyone else have this kind of luck with there 708? What loads have you used and what works the best for you.. So far i only tried the 139's and im real impressed.. Cant wait to go for chucks next weekend....

6.5 Bandit

[ 04-20-2003, 20:37: Message edited by: 6.5 Bandit ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My all-time favorite load for my old 14 inch 7-08 XP was 40 grains of H-4895 with a 140 grain NBT--MV of 2540 FPS. Most accurate, not fastest load.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
yep,with advice from xp and others. i decided to start out with h4895 in my 15" 7-08 encore barrel. i loaded 40.0gr with a 120gr nosler balistic tip and it shot great. i also took a small deer with the load and it worked great. it's a light load and very comfortable to shoot also. i may bump up the charge a little and see how the accuracy goes when i get time. [Cool]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
Bandit, if you are interested, I have a couple Encore triggers that have grooves in them and are not smooth. Got them from T/C that way when i ordered some extra parts just to have for emergency. Don't know what they use them for, and in fact when I bought a new frame a few weeks ago, it came with a "grooved" trigger. Give a shout back if ya' want to do a "deal".
Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Might have to take you up on that.. Where in Ephrata are ya? Im up here in Elizabethville pa.. Maybe we could get together one of these weekends and go shoot.. You can email me @ brockk@earthlink.net

6.5 Bandit

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
You would think someone out there would make a grip that reduced the "reach" on the Encore so those of us who are NOT "Ham Fisted" could reach the trigger.

That reach alone will prevent me from buying one. [Roll Eyes] I feel like I would NEVER be able to handle any chambering that produced any recoil!

LouisB

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is, Try Denzel Roberts web site, he makes custom grips for Encores.

[ 05-02-2003, 17:58: Message edited by: Handloader ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote