Find
Notify
Tools

30 caliber TNT in the Contender calibers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Though kinda stolen from another section of the site, but have any of you used this "fragile" rifle bullet in anything like the 30 Herrett for hunting?
Did it perform?

LouisB

Posts: 4232 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
TCLouis
I never shot the Tnt's in 30 Caliber, but read article a couple of years ago that Claimed they performed as well as the Nosler BT's in the 300 Whisper. Supposedly they are Stronger at the 2000 FPS speed. I had planned to try them out & never did. The Noslers worked well enough & cost less, so I never bothered trying them out to see.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've tried them, and they are nowhere near as reliable as the 125 grain Ballistic tip. On occasion, they'll fail to open at all, the nose pinching shut and the bullet acting more like a full metal jacket than a HP. I would not recommend them for use on game.

I have a handful of them around here somewhere that I have taken from expansion medium. The noses are pinched shut, and one side generally shows some flattening. But there is no expansion to speak of whatsoever.

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<T. D. Clevenger>
posted
I sometimes use them in my 30 Herrett carbine. They have worked well for me. I don't use them as much as I used to though because the 110gr. Hornady is a little more accurate. The TNT is great if you have a longish throat since they have a longer section that is full diameter.
T.D.