New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's one for the Iowa handgun deer hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In Europe there are two non-bottleneck cases that are longer than .30/06s, yet slightly smaller in diameter than a .223 Rem.

One is a 6mmx70 R and the other a 6.5x70 R., both rather strange looking, but offering some interesting potentials for special applications within the framework of Iowa's game laws.

Two problems have kept me from playing with these cases. One is the necessity for custom dies, and the other is the spotty supply of cases.

These could make some pretty interesting .30 caliber cartridges, especially for Contenders where their small diameter permits running high pressures.

However, reality sets in. Good stiff .357 Max. loads with the 150 gr. Rem. bullets Paul had made meet 150 yard requirements on deer very nicely.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Not being from Iowa, yet curious, what kind of performance (MV)would you expect in a 30 cal with a 150 grain bullet with a 14-15 inch barrel in a Contender? Close to a 308? Just Curious.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What needs to be done is to straighten out these long tapered cases to see just how much powder they will hold. While long and skinny is not as good as short and fat in cartridge design, still the relatively large bore size of .30 should perform well inspite of the long skinny powder column at the approx. 55,000 psi permissible with this diameter of chamber in a Contender. And of course with the Encore it would not matter either.

I doubt it would approach .308 Win. ballistics, but it might.... wouldn't know until it was tried. This is radical enough that I don't have a good guesstimation at this point.

Hmmmm..... got to thinking. The 9.3x74 R cartridges, while tapered in the body, do not have a bottle neck either. And of course they could be straightened out more by using a larger diameter bullet such as .375" or .40 cal.

Like Illinois, Iowa set the rules for the game. There are plenty of opportunities to play by the rules and optimize results that are not possible by the conventional means in view within the legislation enacted. [Wink]

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, loaded to no more than 45,000 psi, the 9.3x74 R case could be used in the Contender ok, since it is the same diameter as .444 Marlin at the head.

And of course, in the Encore, it could be loaded hotter yet. 74mm of case length is a lot!

Mike

<Drifty>
posted
Unfortunatly the DNR has decided that it is to uncomplicated to just require a straight wall case.

Now the only cartridges that are legal to hunt with are on a list. I believe that you can find the list on their site. The list mainly consists of 38 to 50 cal straight wall cases, but the last time I looked there were some that didn't make the list.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My .454 Casull will hopefully fit my 150 yds. bill quite nicely. 250 gr. cast at 1900 fps. should do it.
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drifty:
Unfortunatly the DNR has decided that it is to uncomplicated to just require a straight wall case.

Now the only cartridges that are legal to hunt with are on a list. I believe that you can find the list on their site. The list mainly consists of 38 to 50 cal straight wall cases, but the last time I looked there were some that didn't make the list.

That's a kick in the head!

one of us
posted Hide Post
And they need a swift kick in the head! I movd down here from SD where my .30-06 and .308 ruled the roost, these laws suck! Other than the fact that they gave me a very good excuse to buy an Encore, I wish I hadn't moved!!! I'll figure it out though, my .454 will be a thumper when I get em tuned up. I downloaded Bellm's CD on trigger tuning and sat down and did it today. My Encore came with a good trigger pull weight, there was a small bit of roughness and creep. I stoned it out, not with Bellm's stones, so it's probably not perfect, but there's no creep and a just over 2 lb. trigger pull, I'm as happy as can be!
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote