Find
Notify
Tools

TC-L DVH Purchase??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
I have heard a lot of "stories" about barrels purchased and am curious if the quality of his work has improved?

My barrel had the off center scope base holes and long throat....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The contender barrel I got from him was very well made and accuracy was better then average.
But since he started doing the TC list his shit went downhill. There are at least 3 guys I know that had chambers with throats so long that the heaviest and longest bullets didn't even come close to the lands. At least another half dozen with lug problems, rims cut too deep or scope base holes out of line.
One of the guys with the looooong throats {445 Super Mag as a matter of fact} sent him the barrel back only to recieve another or the same barrel back with the same problem 2 months later.
Another attempt was made and after a dozen phone calls he said he didn't have another barrel {I thought he made his own} and couldn't get one. Not only that, he said he didn't have any money to refund this guy because of some law suit he was going through. The buyer { a friend of mine} told him that he would take any barrel he had and be done with the whole thing. Well 2 weeks later he recieved a 17" 444 Marlin with the rim cut way to deep. He didn't check the scope base holes.
Is anyone else having problems with Van Horn barrels.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<IKE>
posted
I've got a aprox two year old barrel made by Dave, it's a blue 14" .256WM Contender barrel. All the holes are where they should be and the interior and exterior workmanship is beyond reproach.

I picked the barrel up "barely" used, and it was made for both rimmed and rimless cases (supplied with two extractors). I'm using .221 Fireball brass as opposed to .357 Mag cases.....the barrel is a absolute tack driver with 85gr Nosler BT's and 14.0grs of H4227.

Based on the one DVH barrel I have unless I found out, for sure, that Dave's quality control had gone to pot I'd have no reservations whatsoever about ordering another barrel from him.