Find
Notify
Tools

Who else become bored.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
with a cartridge/barrel combination once they have developed a load(s) for the barrel with the desired bullets, powders, etc... [Frown]

Dont get me wrong, i will still shoot em (and enjoy em) but not as much as the initial development.

Am i just SICK?? [Big Grin]

(The BIG BORES seem to stick with me a little longer, LOL! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it's Kinda something like that Mike.
Ya have to just put it away and kinda forget about it for a while.
Ya hafta do some fishing in between shooting...Maybe even have some sex every now and then [Big Grin] I do at least once a year [Razz] [Razz] Fishing that is [Wink]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Exactly. I'm one of them. There's the old saying that "Only accurate rifles are interesting.", which can be extended to all firarms. I couldn't disagree more. Some of the most fun guns I've had are ones that you could never be sure where the rounds were going. Any super accurate guns I've ever had, have quickly fallen into dis-use. What's worse is a gun that shoots from day one. What a bore. I have a rifle that did that... fireforming loads gave 3/4 MOA groups. The first full loads I tried gave 1/2 200 yard groups. I haven't fired it in years. Zzzzzz.......

I think the reason that working up the loads and getting them to shoot is what we enjoy is because.... we really didn't need them in the first place. If we did we'd be out ther using them instead of worring about what's next. "It shoot great... now what do I do with it?"

[ 06-15-2003, 21:51: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MSS > which question are we suppose to answer first? Do we get bored, or are you "sick" [Razz]

The load development is the fun part for me. I do not shoot any competitions where I need day to day accuracy so other than the few barrels I hunt with, after I am satisfied with how they shoot they just seem to set. [Frown] However, I can't seem to make myself sell or trade them off either [Roll Eyes] .

As far as you being "sick", I think you are just trying to start another arguement thread [Wink] LOL [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it's the challenge we all enjoy,
Kind of like dating...The first time out you never know where it will go, when you do it's no longer a challenge...but a nice long term relationship may develop. I have several barrels like that...just one wife [Big Grin]

There is no way Mike would be trying to start an argument about him being crazy, we all would agree [Wink]

KenTN

Posts: 140 | Location: MEMPHIS, TN USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sick, now if that isn't the question of the day lol [Razz] . I believe you have it real bad too terminal probably [Big Grin] .

I think you are maybe a step above most of us, to the bigger is better [Razz]
I am with mbk, I hate to get rid of one with out somthing to take it's place. And god forbid me to pass up a deal on a frame or barrel.

BTW, here is some news on the G2. They are made from a very "rare" metal from what I was told, "unobtanium". [Roll Eyes]
Sorry that is the best I could do at the moment.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Being bored perfectly sums up my experiences with barrels/guns over the years. Once I find the loads that meet my needs or I get to hunt with them, I tend to lose interest. I guess that's why I tend to go through quite a few.

Right now, I have a 22" 6 TCU barrel that is basically a "ragged hole" 100 yard shooter with its favorite loads. But it doesn't do anything that a host of other calibers will do, and I've done my share of bagging critters with the small-capacity, 6mm wildcats. So it, too, will probably go up for sale or trade before too long -- and then it will be on to something new...

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I also tend to get bored with a barrel after getting the best (I think) I can out of it. I work for one hole 100 groups and to be able to repeat it time and again. I fire formed cases for a new Bullberry 7tcu barrel today and was impressed with the barrel. I also used a new Burris 3x12 scope I have had for a while and not shot with it and WOW is it clear. Heads up over pistol scope I have ever seen. I hope everyone had a good Fathers day today. I spent the morning with my daughter and grandkids that I haven't been with on a Fathers day in 14 years. Life is good.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
The next time you get bored, just strike up an accuracy conversation with friends/family that spend less time at the range than you. You know - those that say "I could never get that gun to shoot..."

Then give 'em that ole "I'll bet I could get it to shoot" line. In no time at all, you'll have more 'projects' than you have patience!! Now THAT'S what I call challenging!

(A friend of mine in Vermont does this regularly - he's good at it, and it would be a heck of a part-time job if he wanted to charge for it!)

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tommy still problems with the 223 Lapua brass? While Bobby is bouncing around would be a good time tosort this out. I would still like to try some on the next TCU barrel.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I must have missed out on the thread when Tommy had problems with Lapua brass.

When going through a new batch of brass, I can honestly say I have yet to cull a single Lapua casing for any reason, and I use Lapua in 6.5x55, the .223 and wildcats based on the .223, a 6.5x.308 (.308 brass) I used to have along with a 6.5-06 (30-06 brass reformed). All of it is terrific, but the absolutely most consistent and virtually flawless is the 6.5x55 brass. I can't say enough for it.

I have one batch of Lapua 6.5x55 cases that is now in its 14th firing, and these have been top-end loads. The pockets are still very tight, and there appears to be no apparent work-hardening of the brass.

Of course, 2 things immediately put Lapua ahead of the state-side stuff: flash holes that are drilled and not punched and brass that is annealed. ANd then again, the extreme consistency ranks as one of its better traits as well.

You can take Lapua brass right out of the box, chamfer, prime & load. There's no need to run it through a FL die to square things up -- and there's no need to cull any of the cases due to split necks, deformities, defects or extreme weight variations.

I had a lot of WW and Rem 6.5x55 brass that I gave away here on the classifieds. I was so tired of the poor quality (and wrong case head size!) that I decided the slight extra expense of the Lapua brass was well worth it. (My last receipts shows I paid $34.95 per 100 for Lapua brass. Remchester generally runs around $25, and when you consider I routinely culled 15-18%, the difference in across-the-board cost is minimized.

BTW, a while back I even bought some close-out 7.62x39 brass that Lapua made for K-P. I used it in a custom bolt-action built on a Mauser 98 action. Even this "cheap" stuff worked extremely well...

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
MSSmagnum,

I sure have been there, done that, That's why I've had so many different rifles and pistols over the years. I could have saved a small fortune, but it has been a ball. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby I use lapua brass all I can but have ran into a small problem making 7TCU cases from it. I can size up to 6 mm no problem but when I try to go to 7 mm the shoulder goes back. I used two different lupes on the inside necks but no different. The brass is very soft in the shoulder area. I'm using tabered expander balls from two different makes of dies. At this time I'm using the Lapua brass on my 6x45 and would have liked to on my 7TCU. Any ideas?

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Mike
The best part of a new barrel is finding out what it likes to shoot. After that the challenge is over, except to hunt with it. That is why a new barrel is a lot of fun. Starting the process all over again. [Big Grin] That's why I can hardly wait for the shoot in a couple of days, there will be a neew barrel to start the process with! [Cool]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tommy-
Sounds like you may have run into a batch that was annealled too much. Is there any way you could post a photo of one of these cases with the problem?

What if you only partially size the case and load the fireforming load with a boat-tail bullet seated out as far as the throat will allow, allowing the bullet to open the neck upon seating somewhat. THe FF process should then take care of the rest with ease.

One other thing comes to mind. I can't verify this, but I have heard that for a short time, Norma actually made the .223 brass for Lapua. And we all know that Norma brass, while very good, is a bit on the soft side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You are not sick (At least no more sick than anyone else on this forum). Why don't some of you guys who love to develop loads and have the time to do it come to Hutchinson and I will give you the privilege of developing some loads for a number of XP's and couple of barrels for a MOA. All I'm asking for is .5 or better. This gives you the ability to do a lot of loading and shooting while not pay the expense of barrels, powder, primers and bullets or having to worry getting weary of it and trading it off.
Sounds like a deal to me!
Any takers?

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
WOW Ernie, that is one heck of a invitation but unfortunately i must decline. I would like to make the trip out for the conference but just not a good time.....not to mention gettin to shoot a leftie XP! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
XP
If Kansas were only a little closer to NY, I might take you up on that! [Wink] I would love to do some load developement on someone elses dime. As long as there isn't a time limit. [Big Grin]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
MSSmagnum, no you are not sick, at least in the sence of a true handgunner. Most of us (like XPHunter has pointed out) are in the same boat. Once we wring all we can out of a Barrel / Handgun the challange is gone. I probably have one of the worst cases on record, at least according to some of my friends.

However I did take their advice, and have been doing load developement work for others. They bring me their gun, dies and all components needed and I try to come up with the best combination. To date I have been very successful at this, and in each and every case have been able to meet or exceed their accuracy requirements. However after doing this for a number of friends it has kind of become work, and I have been neglecting my own projects.

Maybe I am getting older (just turned 50 last week) or more easily satisfied cause the last couple Contender Barrels I have worked up loads for for myself I let out a sigh of relief and said to myself, no I can just shoot them and enjoy them.

Yep it is part of the beast in all of us to achieve the best we can do with what we have.

Larry

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Larry
You should put a dollar figure on the work that you are doing. I know the custom shops get a good dollar. [Wink]
Rich Jake

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I used to do the same thing when we lived in Texas. It was primarily rifles though. I was the only weird duck that used a handgun for anything other than plinking or self defense. Don't have the time to do that now.
Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
Eich Jake, that is the exact same thing my buddy keeps telling me. However I just can not bring myself to do that, expecially for friends and that is who I have been doing it for anyway. However a couple of the guys have bought me some reloading equipment that I needed for my efforts. In fact that is how I got my PACT Electronic Digial Scale and PACT Electronic Digital Powder Dispenser.

Ernie, my Rifle shooting days are over, at least with anything that recoils more than a .223 anyway. A couple years ago after my right lung collapsed for the second time, they glued it to my chest wall, and shooting a Synthetic Stocked Ruger .270 darn near collapsed it again. I got a very stern "I told you so" from my Doctor, and some pain killers. Luckily everything turned out OK in the end.

As far as Handguns go, I am about the only Handgun Nut in this neck of the woods too. In fact I think I am about the only person in Rosholt that owns a Single Shot Handgun.

Larry

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as Handguns go, I am about the only Handgun Nut in this neck of the woods too. In fact I think I am about the only person in Rosholt that owns a Single Shot Handgun.

Larry[/QB]

[Wink] Nice to be different, huh? [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby Tomak, I got two 223 Lapua cases sized enough to fireform. What I have been seeing is a doughnut where the neck ends. After firing I measured as well as I could and the necks were around 11 thousand after fireforming. There is a ring on the outside of the case and inside as well where the neck ended and shoulder started. With the Bullberry neck I would have to turn necks to use Lapua brass. I will take some pictures tomorrow and email them to you of the fired cases. Looked at the Remington cases and no such ring. I will do more checking tomorrow on the fired 7tcu cases and email you what I find.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tommy-If we don't figure out a solution after seeing the photos, I'd suggest contacting Lapua via their website, explain the situation and requesting a return for a different lot #. Then, we'll get to see what kind of customer service they have...

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby I have tried three different lots of Lapua brass. Will send pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MSSmagnum:
[QB][QUOTE]As far as Handguns go, I am about the only Handgun Nut in this neck of the woods too. In fact I think I am about the only person in Rosholt that owns a Single Shot Handgun.

I know how you feel, in the 3-4 years I've been a member at our local range I have seen a total of 1 other contender.
I get bored with a gun once I get a load worked out for them, thats why I like the T/Cs so much, it's easy to sell or trade a boring bbl for a diffrent one. Out of all the bbls I've owned so far there are only two at the moment that I keep around just because there fun to shoot, thats the 38-55 and the 25-35
Now with O.T.T. offering custom chambers for us the possibilities have just expanded for some 'diffrent' calibers to play with.
[Eek!] [Eek!]
Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who else gets bored with a cartridge/barrel combination once they have developed a load(s) for the barrel with the desired bullets, powders, etc...

YEAH, KINDA LIKE DRIVING THE SAME CAR FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE YEARS, OR THE SAME WOMEN....

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote