Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra 6.5mm, 140 grain GameKing vs. 215 pound boar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Well, I got a little more blood on one of my favorite guns right at dark this evening. Once again, the Sierra, launched at 2601 fps, performed flawlessly. The range was 190 yards, and the bullet took the slightly-quartering hog tight behind the shoulder and exited mid-ribs. He spun and made it a few feet into some tall grass before expiring. Where he stood, there was a large spray of blood and even lung tissue. In my haste to get out to the stand, I didn't take a light, but with the way the Sierra had been performing (and by the evidence on the ground in front of me), I had no qualms about retreiving the hog in near-dark conditions. (Turns out, I just had to step into the tall grass to find him as he did not go far at all.)

The exit was the size of a quarter; damage to the internals was impressive, even though no major bones were hit. I generally prefer shooting through one or both shoulders, but a huisache branch prevented me from taking that particular shot.

Chalk up another textbook performance for those medium-velocity cartridges shooting standard bullets...

Lastly, please pardon the low quality of the digital photo. It was dark and drizzling -- and this angle does not do the hog justice as it does not show the depth of the chest. This one weighed 215, by the way.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hog!Thanks for the info on the 6.5's, as I am working up loads for my 6.5X225imp. Good info on bullet performance.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ken-

Thanks...

What barrel length is your 6.5x225 IMP?

In a 14" tube, the 120 grain Ballistic Tip is hard to beat, and the Speer 120 grain Hot Core comes in a close second.

For me, Re-15 has been THE powder for the 6.5JDJ (6.5x.225 IMP). H4350 and AA2520 are also worthy candidates. IMR-4320 is the traditional powder for the cartridge, but it is actually overshadowed by Re-15 and others.

In my 6.5 Bullberry Imp, I went with a 1:8 twist and a 26" barrel as I wanted to concentrate on 140 grain bullets. I am shooting 39 grains of N160 under both the 140 grain Sierra GameKing and 140 grain A-Max. That same charge also does very well with the 130 grain Accubond, 120 grain Sierra ProHunter and 120 grain Ballistic Tip.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I also found Reloader 15 to be the best powder I tried in my 6.5 JDJ. Although I never did get around to trying any 4350 or N550. I understand N550 is also a very good powder in the 6.5 JDJ.

In my 6.5 Mini-Dreadnaught, with the 140 grain and heavier bullets, VV's N560 out performed H4350 for both accuracy and velocity in my 13 inch barrel. You might consider giving that powder a try in your 6.5 Bullberry. I got my best accuracy, well under an inch, at 2 grains below the maximum listed charge of 52.0 grains of N560 powder...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bobby on a nice clean kill on a nice hog! Was that the one you were chasing?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

No, the one I was chasing earlier is still alive and well -- or at least he is not in my freezer. Big Grin

Like many older boars, he has gone completely nocturnal on me. This one came out with another slightly smaller boar. They had been nocturnal, too, but the cold, drizzly weather had them moving early enough yesterday for me to get a shot right at dark. I am glad I got this one. The two of them had been wiping out everything I put out for the deer, including chewing up the mineral blocks.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Rusty-

Thanks for the suggestion on the N560. I may give it a try. The problem around here, though, is that no one carries VV powders. I try to buy locally, but the one place that has the best supply of Alliant and Hodgdon powders is now around $30 a pound. So I have started to order online once or twice a year.

The closest place for VV powders is Sportsman's Warehouse in either San Antonio or the one north of Austin. Over the summer, I had to do some begging and pleading to get them to hold the last can of N160 for me -- and I had to drive up the same day -- a 200 mile round trip -- in order for them to "hold" it.

It's been a little frustrating, but I certainly do like the consistency and accuracy I have been getting with the VV powders. I just wish there would be a place that I could drive up and pick up a can on a whim...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

If you are not adverse to buying on line, E. Arthur Brown Co. Inc. carries VV powders. You can order @ www.ebaco.com , I believe Natches also carries VV powders.

One thing I really like about VV is that their quality control is so good that you do not have to redevelop all your load data when you get a new lot of powder. One of the things I haven't liked in the past was that the smallest quantity of VV powder you could buy was a 2 pound can. I understand that that has now changed or will shortly.

VihtaVuori specifically developed N560 powder for the 6.5 x 55 and the 270 Winchester cartridges. Its burning rate is very similar to N160's , so I thought it might work well for you. Good luck with your loading and shooting. I can see that you don't need it with your hunting, that was quite a pig! Congratulations on your well deserved success....Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Rusty-

Thanks for the kind words. Now I'll have to widen our doors to get my ego-filled head to fit through... Big Grin

Thanks for the info on VV powders as well. I am not opposed to ordering on-line. I've been doing a bit of that as of late, but I try and do it just once or twice a year to make sure I have enough to make the hazmat charges worthwhile.

I did not realize that the VV powders will be available in one-pound cans. That'll make random testing a little easier on the pocketbooks.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Bobby,I have an SSK 14"6.5JDJ that I have been loading with the 120gr NBT and IMR4320.Still looking for the best powder charge and COL combo.Most will group 1" @100yds.,but I feel it should do better. Also shooting a 6.5X225IMP 23" OTT barrel that has made two trips to the range.Loading the same bullet with IMR 4350. The best I can tell,it has a 1 in 8" twist also. So far the best 3 shot group was .620" May try some of your load suggestions. Thanks for your imput on some of the 6.5 bullets. Good info!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ken-Let us know how the load work goes. A few of us here are rabid 6.5mm fans (maybe fanatics is a better word Big Grin) and are always thrilled to trade information.

I even post my Contender & Encore rifle stuff here as it's the forum I frequent most.

What contour do you have on the OTT barrel?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
My OTT barrel is SS 23"long,bullbarrel that mike fluted. Looks nice with the SSframe,silver Lupo. scope and Bullberry wood. I'll post a picture when I get back,as I am headed to Ala. for a hunt.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Thanks!

No, the one I was chasing earlier is still alive and well -- or at least he is not in my freezer. Big Grin

Like many older boars, he has gone completely nocturnal on me. This one came out with another slightly smaller boar. They had been nocturnal, too, but the cold, drizzly weather had them moving early enough yesterday for me to get a shot right at dark. I am glad I got this one. The two of them had been wiping out everything I put out for the deer, including chewing up the mineral blocks.

Funny as a friend of mine shot a 130lb or so hog yesterday am as well. Moving in sync? HA.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bobby thumb
My 13 year old used 142 SMK's to drop both a whitetail and an antelop doe @ 200 and 260 yards with a 6.5-284 XP.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote