New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Win Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage Striker in 243. What bullet would you use on deer. I see Sierra has a 80gr. Spitzer sspb. It may be a little lite in the 243? Nosler has a 90gr. Balistic Tip. I sould be able to push a 90 gr.to about 2600fps. Any feild experiance would be welcome. Also any loads would be appreiated. Have not picked up a manual that covers a 243 pistol yet. Thanks, Lone Hunter

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 90 grain BT would work well at the velocity level you'd be working at. So, too, would the 85 grain Partition.

The Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet will do quite well but may be a little fragile at the higher velocity of close range. I use this bullet quite a bit in the 6mm-.223 (aka 6x45) and really like it. But my MV is in the 2700 fps range. Your starting velocity would probably be 250 fps higher. I'd give it a whirl and just be extra cautious with shot placement inside 50 yards. It is a superbly-accurate bullet as almost every load I concoct tends be be well under MOA.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote