New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Herrett Twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I have a 357 with a 1-18 twist. Would this be suitable to a 357 Herrett rechamber? Drawbacks? Advantages? Let me know. [Eek!]

Posts: 46 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: 01 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
verno.......i have a bullberry .357 mag 16.5 incher
im thinking about the same thing, im leaning towards the .357 herrett
but ?? i didnt know ??? that the .357 mag was in 1-18 twist ??? are we shure about that ???
buckweet [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 302 | Location: clinton mo. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
My old Speer #10 manual says the .357 Herrett has a 1 in 14" twist. Same as the old .30 Herrett barrels. Hope this helps. Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to my trusty old Lyman manual, edition #46, the following info might help you:

T/C twist for .357 Mag 18"
T/C twist for .357 Herrett 14"
T/C twist for .35 Rem 14"
T/C and Ruger for .357 max 14"
Rem & Marlin for .35 Rem 16"
Win & Browning for .358 win 12"

All twists are for one turn in.....

I'm not an expert, but looking at this as long as you are going to stay with the lighter bullets in that Herrett, all should be well. But I don't know if you are going to have any luck with the heavier bullets...you will push them faster than .357 mag, but I'm not sure if it's faster enough to make them stabilize accurately. I have a 10 inch Factory T/C 18 inch twist that was rechambered by Mike Bellm to .357 Max and it shoots 180 grain bullets beautifully, I haven't had a chance to try anything heavier yet.

As you can see, standard bullets for .357 mag run 110-158 grains and you have 18" twist. Standard bullets for .35 Rem run 180-200 grains and you have 16 inch twist in rifles and a faster 14 inch in the pistol barrels which generate less velocity. .357 max standard bullet is 180 or so grains and you get a 14 inch twist.
.358 winchester standard bullet is 200-250 grains and you get the 12 inch twist.

sorry for boring you, this info interested me because I have all of the calibers listed above and love them all....
If it was my money, I'd probably do the rechamber unless you had big heavy bullets on the mind.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
humm ???
i've got a bunch of remington 150's i got from paul...
lighter bulletts in a 1-18 ???
been just now talking too mssmagnum...now im leaning the other way,,towards the max..
should be a no-brainer..i'z gots 1000 new max brass,n' 1000 new bullets from paul...
now ??? i guess i'll hit ol' 1buba up about that ''freebie'' rechamber ??? lol !!!
buckweet [Wink]

Posts: 302 | Location: clinton mo. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
graycg,
The whole .35 cal. twist rate thing is an enigma with no sound logic in the choices used by the various factories, at least none that can be discerned.

Remington used 1-16" twist for .350 Rem. Mag. with bullet weights up to 250 gr., btw.

Recall also that there at least used to be 200 gr. .357 Magnum, and I believe .38 Spl. factory loads.... back when.

While 1-14 is more or less the standard twist for most .35 cal rifle rounds, and 1-18 is supposed to be standard for .357 Mag., I dare say that the 1-18 will handle 200s just fine.

I would not hesitate one second to rechamber a 1-18 twist barrel to Max, even with 200 gr. bullets in view.

Chamber 'em right, get the bullets started in straight, and they shoot.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE A 357 MAG BARREL WITH 18" TWIST RECHAMBERED TO 357-44 AND IT WILL NOT STABILIZE ANYTHING OVER 158GR THEY ALL KEYHOLE.i HAVE A H&R RIFLE 357MAG 18 TWIST RECHAMBERED TO 357 MAX AND IT'S THE SAME WAY.BOTH SHOOT THE LIGHTER BULLETS FINE BUT NOTHING OVER 158GR.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If all the backlog was gone, I'd rechamber an 18" twist barrel just to either prove a point or to learn something myself!

The old work is very close to gone, so if you can wait a bit, let me know. I am curious myself. Bullets over 158s not stabilizing just does not sound right at all.

If the throat is right and the crown is right, they should shoot heavier bullets also.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote