New
Find
Notify
Tools

first deer with encore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I broke in my encore yesterday. We hunt out of an old hay wagon that permanently sits on the back edge of a 100 acre field that is surrounded on 3 sides by thick woods. It provides wind shelter and a solid rest for shooting. The first bunch of does crossed the field and stopped at about 350 yards. I figured, what the heck. I have a 15" encore pistol in a 308 win with a 2.5-7x tc scope. I leveled the cross hairs about 6" about the largest doe's back and squeezed the trigger. Much to my suprize, a cloud of dust popped about 6" above that deers back! Right where I was holding. About an hour later, another group of 3 crossed the field and worked there way towards us. They stopped at 98 yards according to my rang finders. I leveled the cross hairs on the front shoulder of a larger doe that was quartering toward me and squeezed. That doe hit the ground like a boulder fell on it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I missed the shoulder socket, took out both lungs and exited the far side by the last rib. No real expansion, but I was using 150 corelock rem factory loads. I'm still trying to find enough time to work up some 125 nosler bt's for it. That was so fun that I'll have a hard time bringing out the sendaro again for awhile.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!! Nice shootin!

Once you get past the first kill, you realize that handguns are all ya need!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your first deer with an Encore....I am sure you are now hopelessly hooked.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chadr,
Isn't it great doing it with a specialty handgun!
CONGRATULATIONS!
With your 308 Win you may want to use the 150 grain Nosler BT over the 125 Nosler BT. With a 308 Win. you may have more expansion than you want with a 125, especially at close range. I have not hunted with a 308 in a specialty handgun, so I am not saying this from personal experience.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Chadr
That was an excellent story. Congrats on the deer. I have had excellent results with the Nosler/Winchester Comb Tech Balistic Silver tip out of My 308 rifle & 300 Whisper. I've also used the 125 Bal Tip with good results out of the 300 Whisper, but the velocity was a lot slower in that. The Nosler 150's should work well for you.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congradulations on your first!

With my .309JDJ I use 150 or 165 grain Ballistic Tips and even with the slightly less velocity than you're probably getting, the bullets expand nicely. It seems to be a toss up between the 150's and 165's. I will say the 150's at 2300+ fps expand very violently at 40 yards or less. Every deer I've killed with 'um went less than 30 yards. I've never recovered a bullet, but the exit wounds were nice and large.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote