THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the 'best' Encore Pistol deer hunting caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of erict
posted
Sorry if you've seen this request from others in the past - I'm new to this website.

I am planning on buying an Encore Pistol soon, and hope to get some input on the 'best' Eastern White-tailed deer hunting caliber for 0-300 yd. shots.

I plan on handloading all ammo, but prefer to stay away from calibers requiring extensive case forming. I'm not afraid to spend the time required to get loads producing 1/2" 100 yd. groups.

I am leaning towards the .243 in a 15" barrel - the bullet selection and velocities/trajectories/energies look pretty good.

Any thoughts from the masses would be appreciated.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The .243 is a little light for 300 yard shooting in a handgun. For 300 yard shooting, it's even on the light side in a rifle.

If you want to keep it simple, the 7-08 is probably the way to go and will get you 2600+ fps with a 120 grain bullet or 2550 fps with a 140. I'd go with the 140 grain BT; at that velocity, it will perform splendidly on deer.

Personally, I prefer the .260. I used a 6.5x.308 (same as the .260 -- just barreled up before Big Green gave it a home) for years in an XP and had fantastic results on everything from vermin and varmints through deer, hogs and even some of Texas' plentiful exotics. My primary load was the 120 grain BT at 2693 fps from a 14" Shilen bbl.

ANd, if you want to ensure easy-to-get accuracy, a custom barrel is the way to go. I'd had barrels from Van Horn, Bullberry, SSK, Virgin Valley and Mike Bellm (rechambers from Mike) and have nothing but good things to say about them. Some of the barrels leaving the TC shop now make you wonder where the QC has gone...

[ 12-09-2002, 09:15: Message edited by: Bobby Tomek ]

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i dropped a small button buck at an estimated 250 yards with my 15" 7-08 and burris 3x12. i had a excellent rest and plenty of time for the shot. i used the 120gr nosler bt with H4895. most of the encore calibers will work fine. i am very satisfied with the 7-08. ok, i love it. i think it's just about perfect for my KY. deer hunting. there are others that will work fine also. anything .243 up in my opinion. bullet choice is a major factor,along with shot placement. .243 with sierra 85gr hpbt or maybe even 85gr nosler partition. if you want more bullet weight then .260rem or 7-08. .308 or 30-06 even. the encore is very versatile. [Cool]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 15" 250 Savage that I bought for deer hunting in Indiana, but since I've moved to Illinois I'm restricted to a cartridge case not to exceed 1.4" so the 250 is sitting on the shelf. Never got a chance to try it on deer. I had a 260 Rem for awhile and I like that caliber also.
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote