Find
Notify
Tools

7TCU good enough for deer?
 Login/Join

<Fireball>
posted
Ok I just traded a 357 Max for a 7TCU 10"
Looking through the load data seems to point to that anything over 120gr bullet will be too slow to expand and make good clean kills on most larger game. Maybe the 110 and 120s would be good for shots at deer say withing 150 yards??
Any of you acually deer hunt with this round?
What do you find effective?
Fireball [Wink]

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I have killed two Mo deer with 7TCU, both just dropped on the spot. I was using Nosler 120gr BT over a very health dose of AA2015. Not a load I would target shoot with just hunt.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 7TCU makes an excellent medium-range deer round. As far as bullet selection goes, both the 120 grain Nosler BT and 120 grain Hornady Single Shot Pistol work quite well. From 14" barrels and top-end loads, the Sierra 130 grainer works fine, too. But I'd shy away from it since you have a 10" barrel. And I'd forget about bullets under 120 grains. BTW, you can't go wrong by sticking to H335 and Rem 7 1/2 primers.

From a 10" tube, you can expect 2050 fps -- and the BT and Hornady SSP WILL expand reliably down to around 1650 fps or so.

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote