Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First handgun deer
 Login/Join

posted
Went out with my nephew yesterday afternoon.He normally hunts with a 270 rifle but had been practicing with my 15" 30-06 Encore. I had it loaded with 165g Nosler Partitions over a charge of H414 that he had no trouble keeping in an inch or so at 100yds.About 6:30 yesterday afternoon a doe stepped out at about 140yds he took the shot and down she went.Another handgun hunter joins us.

Ronnie

[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=66434&c=500&z=1"]  - [/url]

Posts: 16 | Location: SOWEGA | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting another into the handgun hunting ranks. And kudos to your nephew; a shot of 140 yards under hunting conditions isn't exactly a piece of cake.

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Hey that's really cool! Congrats to the both of you ! It's great seeing peoples first handgun deer,There is nothing quite like it. [Big Grin]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of ya! [Big Grin]
Glad to hear that your nephew chose the handgun over the rifle. The first deer I took with a handgun was a doe of fair size, but not at a distance anywhere close to what he did. As to it being a doe, any game taken with a handgun, and a one shot kill at that is a trophy in my book.

I have seen fellows use the same caliber as you guys did and not get those kind of results!
Keep after him, and you as well. Ya know, we expect to see yer mug on here next [Wink] .
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote