New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of working up “or down” some reduced loads using IMR SR-4759, H4895, or XMP-5744 in my 14” braked 309jdj. I’ll be using it for coyote. Most likely I’ll be using 110-150 grain bullets “whatever I can find locally cheap”. Any powder charge suggestions for getting around 1900-2000 fps? How much if any do reduced loads reduce muzzle blast? Any help greatly appreciated.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, if you want reduced muzzle blast then take a hacksaw to that barrel and remove the muzzle break!

Secondly, reduced loads with faster burning powders will tame the blast down quite a bit. One area that I've worked on this is with a TCU class round from a 10" barrel. For this application I've tried 4227 and it seemed to work very well. You could probably get by with 5744 & 4759 in the longer barrels and get very good results.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your bullet (I'm thinking 150 grain spitzer) doesn't expand due to reduced velocity (very likely), you will probably have a difficult time recovering the coyote after you shoot it!

I'd suggest one of the good single shot pistol bullets from Hornady, or a 125 ballistic tip.....

just my 2 cents.

[ 04-28-2003, 23:44: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're on the right track with H4895. The reduced loads that I have tried work great, and I am sure you can get a load in your MV range that will have sufficient accuracy. Take your max H4895 load, multiply by .6, and work up from there....

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php

Best regards,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Another thing that i have read about in the reloading forum is using blue dot. I believe that the thread stated a load of like 13.0 grains in most cases.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote