New
Find
Notify
Tools

Look what I discovered
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was loaned a scope ring lapping tool. started to lap a set of rings and was suprised. These were Burris Z rings. after about 5 minutes of lapping I removed the tool and was shocked at how little of the ring was making contact. If you have a super thumper and the scope is moving get a lapping tool and clean up the rings.
Rich [Cool]

Posts: 139 | Location: Powell WY | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I got one from Sinclair and use on all my rings. Does't take long and I feel it makes a difference. Some use a boring tool and I don't know much about that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ream mine, but lapping is just as good. Just think how many people have damaged scopes because of the high spots on the inside of the rings [Eek!]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand the Burris Signature Z ring with inserts, eliminates the need for lapping. Anyone using these?
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
I understand the Burris Signature Z ring with inserts, eliminates the need for lapping. Anyone using these?
Greg

Greetings! Yes, I use them, and they are a fantastic alternative to traditional rings, and also leave your scope looking in new condition in case re-sale of the scope is an issue down the road.

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the rings with inserts. No ring marks, and no misalignment. As a side note, by ordering the different insert "offsets" you may adjust the scope to bbl clearance up or down or achieve a slight left to right offset by using different size ring combos.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, aka Deadeyedick, I was using the Burris Signature rings there at Alliance and got the elevation I needed for the extreme distances by using the offest inserts instead of shimming the base.

Lapping is far better than nothing, but you will never get a completely round hole lapping.... close, but not quite.

If you think what the lapping shows is interesting, start taking some of the twist in rings and measuring the distance from the ring opening to the bottom of the ring where it butts against the base. In some brands you can find as much as .015" variation from ring to ring in the same box.

Extruded rings are much more consistent, but still should be trued up.

Reaming is a better way to go.

Get a 1" spriral reamer from one of the industrial supply houses. Clymer also sells a double ended reamer that should be good, but it is a bit pricey when you can get a commercial reamer for about half the price or less.

After reaming or lapping, clean the rings and stick adhesive paper labels in the rings to take up some of the material removed, provide a non slip surface, and protect the scope's finish.

Mike

[ 12-05-2002, 12:11: Message edited by: Mike Bellm ]

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
I have a Bellm rechambered 357 Max Contender bbl with a Double dovetail base and the Signature rings with inserts.

Terrific holding power for a 2 ring mount. (all I can really use on this tapered 10" bbl)

Also used the rings on a Handi-Rifle with the offset inserts to correct a windage problem.

Regards