Find
Notify
Tools

41x444 Marlin!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Kickedby44 just got me a 14" 41mag barrel sooooooo now all i need is a 41x444 (or 411jdj) dies set and i can start this project!! [Big Grin]

Anyone got a set they want to part with??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help with your next project Mike [Big Grin]
Its about time I make you spend some money. [Eek!]

Posts: 43 | Location: pa | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike - What in Sam H*$$ are you going to do to that .41 barrel?? [Eek!] Please tell me you are at least going to put a few rounds through it before it goes under the knife!!

Let us know how the "super barrel" turns out. Maybe you could persuade me........into another one that is. [Big Grin]

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I was thinkin bout that earlier. I already gots the scope, moount and rings. I could bolt it all up and shoot it for a while and then thought, WHY? [Razz] Just kiddin, i am gonna shoot it till i git me a set of them hens teef, 41x444 dies (411jdj). Once those are secured, that barrel is off to the north east! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Gotta set you wanna sell?? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my eye's and ear's open for you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Are you planning on a muzzle brake for this .41 mag project ??
What is a .41 Whammy ?
You always seem to be doing interesting projects.
Good luck, HeeHaw

Posts: 92 | Location: Las Vegas, Nv | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeeHaw:
Mike,
Are you planning on a muzzle brake for this .41 mag project ??
What is a .41 Whammy ?
You always seem to be doing interesting projects.
Good luck, HeeHaw

The .41Whammy is the .350Remington Magnum necked up to .411. It's a real barn burner. Not for the Contender! RKBA! [Wink]

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YNUK YNUK YNUK, I got a set of them there dies (.411JDJ) for my .411JDJ but you can"t have them. [Wink] BUT if you really want to get your project up and running I'll send them to you ON LOAN when you get your .41X444 back. Just let me know when you are ready to start load testing. BTY my dies are Reddings by SKS. Oh I need your snail mail so I can get that Barnes stuff shipped out to you. Email me.

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why not rechamber to .405 Win.? Same bullets, same ballistics, and you already have the dies. 4D-CH has the dies for $60 I believe (.411/.444, that is). Also, Reeder does the .41 GNR#2....445 SM necked down.... which offers the same ballistics. Just a thought...

Lou

Posts: 9 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by der bunk:
Why not rechamber to .405 Win.? Same bullets, same ballistics, and you already have the dies. 4D-CH has the dies for $60 I believe (.411/.444, that is). Also, Reeder does the .41 GNR#2....445 SM necked down.... which offers the same ballistics. Just a thought...

Lou

Hi Lou, I have a 405 in the Competitor, brass is REAL SPENSIVE! [Eek!] The 41x444 will get me a chambering in the Contender without the expensive brass. I have thought about the 41x445 several times but once again, the cost and availability of brass. I really like the 444 in the Contender so the 41x444 should be GREAT! [Big Grin] Besides, i NEED another 41! [Big Grin] LOL! I still wont have as many 41's as Still Crawfish BUT i am gettin there. [Wink]

Lets see,
41mag
414 Super Mag
41x444 Marlin
405 Winchester
That is a nice place to start! [Big Grin] The GNR's are next. [Wink] Thanks for the info on the dies, going to check NOW!

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Dies ARE ORDERED!! [Big Grin]

Looks like i will be in the 41x444 business fairly soon! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Are you planning on a muzzle brake for this .41 mag project ??

Brakes are for cars! [Wink] (that quote stolen from DanB [Big Grin] ) Nope, no brake. Cant be any worse then me 444 Mariln without one. Gotta be easier on the hand than the 405 Win! [Wink]

quote:
...You always seem to be doing interesting projects.
Good luck, HeeHaw

Thanks, glad hear it. I was begining to think that i was just nuts!! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Still Crawfish:
YNUK YNUK YNUK, I got a set of them there dies (.411JDJ) for my .411JDJ but you can"t have them. [Wink] BUT if you really want to get your project up and running I'll send them to you ON LOAN when you get your .41X444 back. Just let me know when you are ready to start load testing. BTY my dies are Reddings by SKS. Oh I need your snail mail so I can get that Barnes stuff shipped out to you. Email me.

THANKS FOR THE OFFER!! I checked out CH Tool & Die, they had em so i called. The owner (damn, forgot his name already...geeze...my memory) is an extremely nice guys and is shipping them tomorrow. This will be my first experience with their dies, so i am lookin forward to it. I should have cases formed and a couple of dummy rounds to ship with the barrel to OTT first of next week! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Talked to Mike, of On Target Tech, and he advised that if i get the barrel to him soon that it will be delivered at the PA shoot!! [Big Grin]

Sure hope them dies show up tomorrow!! [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
GOOD NEWS [Big Grin] BAD NEWS [Mad]

[Big Grin] Got the dies today!!

[Mad] Damn Remington brass is thinner than it used to be and the dies cannot size the neck small enough! ARG! [Mad] I talked to Dave (CH-4D), i am sending the dies back with a few 444 cases. He believes that he is going to have to make a new die for it because of this difference. ABSOLUTE MINIMUM, it will be about 8 weeks for new ones, DAMNIT! Guess the 444 or 414sm will be the "deer gun" this year. Oh well, got sumpin to look forward to this fall. [Wink]

EDIT: The dies are VERY nice looking. The sizer is mirror polished and the machine work on all of them are excellent. I can highly recommend CH Tool & Die!

[ 06-07-2003, 07:44: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
XXX brand dies probably would work Mike. (Lee) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tommyn:
XXX brand dies probably would work Mike. (Lee) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

I've never had a bit of problem with the RCBS dies I got from J.D. Jones when I got my .411JDJ barrel initially. I've spoken to J.D. about a rechamber but got a new barrel due to the fact he doesn't recommend pushing anything over 300gr too fast in a rechamber. Forgot why, but I'll ask Monday. I bought a couple thousand rounds of Remington brass several years ago as I was shooting the .309JDJ, .338JDJ#2, .358JDJ, and the .411JDJ at one time. The only one I've hung onto is the .411JDJ. I believe J.D. gets his dies from Hornady now. Good luck with the new toy. It's a whomper on big game. RKBA! [Big Grin]

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
Mike, You should still be able to get your gun shooting. Before you send your die back size a bunch down, then neck size with a 41 mag die. At least try it to see if the brass really is too thin. I did that for about a year for my 416VVC (then I expanded the neck to 416 with my taylor die). I got two dies sets(Rcbs) that didn't work. One wouldn't hold a bullet and the other didn't size the case, just the neck. I just got my CH&4D 416VVC die last week and it works well.
>>I've had CH&4D make dies for my 323 Stibgen, 338 Stibgen, three bullet sizing dies, and the 416, they all work well. In the not to distant future I'll also get 17 Ackley Hornet, 25 Hornet IMP, 323 Stibgen #2, and 416 RAS Dies from Dave Davison @ CH&4D.
>> Dave gets back quickly when you E-mail him.

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick,

I was atempting to size brass for Mike (OTT) to get the dimensions from for the rechamber. No real rush i guess, i still have the 444. [Big Grin]

Jim (kickedby44) and i shot the 444's a little today. We got the steel plates made up and placed on the range. I could hit the one at about 80 yards offhand with the 444/Leupold 4x purty consistently! [Big Grin] Think that combo will bag a deer purty nicely. [Wink]