Find
Notify
Tools

Best Custom Barrel for the $
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
We have several manufactures available to us making these barrels now. Of them, which is your pick for the BEST value considering accuracy, finish, machine work, etc...??

I am more than pleased with the performance of my EA Brown barrel BUT they are fairly pricey. I have not received my DVH barrel yet so obviously can make no comment on it.

I am looking forward to reviewing the pricing of barrels from MBM Co.

Your thoughts?????

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've had barrels from Bullberry, SSK, Virgin Valley & Van Horn along with a re-chamber by Mike Bellm. The worksmanship on all is excellent, and while you can't put Bellm in the comparison because this was a rechamber and not a new barrel, Van Horn gets my vote for best value for the money. In fact, I have a 27" full bull Encore barrel due in this week from him, and I spent just $289 on this 6.5x55 barrel -- a good bit less than the rest.

Oh, I forgot, I did have an Ingram barrel years ago and had no problems getting sub-MOA with it, either. I have a used Ingram barrel that may be in tomorrow (from a forum member here) chambered in 6x47 AI. I'll post results once I get to work with it. In fact, I was hoping to shoot it tomorrow, but it is supposed to rain hard all day long.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I have been more than pleased with my Bullberry barrel. Not quite as pleased with the two Virgin Valley Barrels but will do more work with them before my mind is made up. I am waiting for my Van Horn barrel with high hopes.

<wildcat51>
posted
I own a few T/C factory/Bellm rechambers, regular T/C factory, VVCG/Bellm, and a Gary Reeder custom.

Customer service (6 week delivery), workmanship, quality, accuracy, and the best looking barrel of the bunch is the Gary Reeder custom. Just love the black matte finish with the silver inlay. Fit and lockup is the best. Gary Reeder will talk with you directly about his products when you call. The price is just a bit more then the rest but worth every penny to me becuase I really only require two or three nice barrels. I only own one frame.

<Fireball>
posted
VanHorn without a doubt for me. I have SSk VV Bullberry also All Great barrels All shoot well BUT and a HUGE BUT.....VanHorn is The best with Warranty I have had No Baloney the only thing I got from Dave when I did have a problem and a Very Slight one was..I AM SORRY...send it back I will make it right! and he did and Finished it FAST. which brings up another reason I like Vanhorn stuff. His Turn around time is the BEST.
Average barrel for me has been Three weeks and some faster. OK one more reason His rechanbers are without reproach. He is FAST and does VEry Good work...Now this is NOT a KNOCK on Bellm!! DONT start that war. Vanhorn must have a Larger shop with a compentant staff His recjamber take anywhere from 3- 5 days and he did one my 358 Norma Mag Faster... got the barrel on a tues and shipped it out thursday.

They are all good but Dave has been the best and everything combined Price...Quality....turnaround time....Warranty and best of all He has NEVER given me an ATTITUDE!

He has got ALL my work the last year

Fireball [Razz]